Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
2010-forum-bday.jpg

Greetings fellow Orbinauts!

We're thrilled to announce today marks 3 years ORBITER-FORUM has been online! We're honored to have had the pleasure of being a part of the community and helping it develop over the past three years, as Martin worked tirelessly on the amazing piece of software we all love! We've relished many spectacular addons that have cultivated ORBITER into a unified community project - challenging us to excel in science, mathematics, and computer programming. Certainly the spirit of the Probe has been with the community and excites us to push the limit further still!

ORBITER-FORUM now has over 5,000 members, around 900 of those are active (meaning they've visited the forum in the past 30 days). Before O-F was founded by Tex, Martin had previously setup the Orbiter forums, which as the community grew forced a switch to more powerful software and hardware solutions. Today the ORBITER community is run on a powerful platform with room to grow, and grow we have! Check out statistics from the forum below:

Total Orbinauts: 5,223
Active Duty Orbinauts: 907
Record online users: 588
Total Threads: 17,271
Total Posts: 198,563
Social Groups: 55
Top poster: Urwumpe (10,693)
Most replied to thread: Space Shuttle Ultra development thread
Most viewed thread: Orbiter Screenshot Thread
Most popular forum: Off-Topic

Total Orbinauts registered over the past year:

2010_reg-stats.jpg

Orbinauts online over the past month:

2010_user-activity-stats.jpg

Total new threads created over the past year:

2010_newthread-stats.jpg

Total new posts over the past year:

2010_posts-stats.jpg

As we look back on the past 3 years, all of the staff would like to say thank you for being a part of the community and thank you for all of your support, from those who were in a position to make monetary contributions, to those who are a part of the community we've come to see on a regular basis! Below we leave you with some randomly selected quotes from the community.

Here's to another exciting three years from all of us here at ORBITER-FORUM! :cheers:

Epic Quotes from the Community

<Andy44>Chuck Norris does not fly a rocket to the Moon. He gives the Earth a roundhouse kick and moves the entire Earth-Moon system towards him.

<Andy44>Chuck Norris sued the National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) because Law and Order are the names of his left and right legs.

<tblaxland>BTW, I hear Chuck Norris can divide by zero... :p

"You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...":

Andy44 said:
...when approaching the drive-thru at McD's, you slow to a crawl and approach the window at no more than 2 cm per second, and yell out "Capture!" as they hand you your shake and burger.

Bullethead said:
...when you curse your car for not having translation thruster mode while worming into or out of a tight parking space.

dougkeenan said:
When you look at a NASA ISS photo and right-click drag to try and get a better angle!

TSPenguin said:
When you run from store to store in order to find Furry Dicez

Zatnikitelman said:
...when you plan to learn C++ just to make Orbiter addons

Piper said:
When your roommate tosses you a "magazine" after playing Orbiter all day and she tells you "Here, why don't you do something productive."

TeddyJohn said:
When your wife catches you wearing your motorcycle helmet with the face shield down while sitting at your computer.

eveningsky339 said:
When you feel the urge to make a strong pot of coffee every time you see something that reminds you of Orbiter.

"The biggest disaster you have caused in Orbiter":

Artlav said:
Crashed the Moon into the Earth.

Also, made a Von Neumann probe with 10 seconds replication cycle... The universe lasted 120 seconds.

Urwumpe said:
Planning a high speed ejection burn towards Saturn, all going well. 15 hours later, I collided with a dark object called moon.

silent_protagonist said:
I pressed Alt+F4, causing the destruction of the known universe. :)

Linguofreak said:
Every time I close the program, the universe ends.

"Why we love the IRC channel."

<HiPotOk> I really REALLY wanna go to sleep
<TNeo> What is the time at you location?
<HiPotOk> 1422
<TNeo> PM or AM?

Nerull said:
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

* Epsilon is tempted to try a landing now. >_>
<Gary> landing where?
<Epsilon> On the sun. <_<
<Gary> I hope you are going at night

eveningsky339 said:
An orbiternaut's pickup line: "Hey baby, I have something for you to mesh...

Xyon said:
Here runneth the transmission: Houston, Probe: Those who forsake me, who take my designation in vain, who mock and shun me, who disbelieve, let them experience the white-hot fury of my rage. Let them deorbit with bare thruster and face the inferno of re-entry without the protection that I, in my wisdom, grant those who believe.

<ATC> I prefer my 200 horses.
<ATC> I don't have to feed them either.
<Lambo> and in your car?
<Lambo> fed by gasoline?
<ATC> Fed by the tears of all those I destroy in my daily road rage commute to the underworld.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Happy Birthday! :cheers:

Looks like it's been a good run, though I only saw the last 8 months of it.

May :probe: shine on the years to come!

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes happy birthday O-F and a pat on the back to the staff and active members for keeping this forum alive. Well done everyone.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Amen to that! Also, seconded to Ricer Crab, only I'm newer.

Happy Birthday Orbiter-Forum!

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
And over these years, it underwent a steady improvement thanks to heroic efforts of admins team! :cheers: :happybday:

Orbiter-forum is the best! :RnR1::10sign: :RnR1:

Now, let's all DANCE! :jj::jj::jj::jj::jj::jj::jj::jj::jj::banana: (<- me joining too)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
:happybday: Orbiter-Forum! we really have a pretty awesome community here :cheers:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:happybday: O-F! It's still the only forum that I've ever posted to for more than a few days.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OF is now only slightly younger than my son (On the order of 25 days). However I'd have to say, on occasion it seems like my son has fewer tantrums. :p

Happy Birthday, Orbiter-Forum. I'm proud to be a part of the staff here somehow helping keep it all ticking over smoothly. We may be bailing out water with buckets behind the scenes occasionally, but it's all smooth seas and calm skies out here. :)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to you O-F. Even though I only have been a member for half a year, you have become an importance in every day life.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Happy Birthday OF!

The "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon..." quote, though, didn't orignate with Nerull. It's decades old and I can't find a reliable reference to who said it first. Nerull gets credit for knowing it, though, as it's a great quote.