Project Orbiter Galaxy

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh please don't tempt jedidia! He's very busy with IMS project right now and I wouldn't want him to be distracted on some other projects.

Nothing to be tempted about currently, since developing OG would be neigh impossible on my laptop, and it'll be a few more months until I return to my rig inn bosnia...

But development is certainly not abandoned. I just got a bit sidetracked by IMS for the time being, which turned out to be a bit more work than I anticipated. Which is fine, as I'm also stuck in switzerland a lot longer than anticipated...

Columbia42

Reaction score
Not sure if OG development is ongoing, but I have a question regarding a possible bug. When the scenario switches over to my destination system, I find that invariably my ship is pointing in the opposite direction of my destination. This was never a problem when I used warp drives and such but now that I'm getting into more "realistic" interstellar flights, it can be a bit of an annoyance to reorient a huge interstellar stack. Is there a way around this problem or a possible (probably simple) bug fix?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if OG development is ongoing, but I have a question regarding a possible bug. When the scenario switches over to my destination system, I find that invariably my ship is pointing in the opposite direction of my destination.

hrm, interesting. There always were slight problems with the orientation, but pointing entirely the wrong way wasn't on the list...

Anyways, OG development is pretty much on hold until the next orbiter version, for several reasons. I'll probably have to rewrite a lot of it anyways for it, currently IMS has priority (as soon as the space bug bites me again, that is) and I'm hoping for a solid terrain interface which might allow me to cut back on the texture export, but we'll have to see about that...

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
, currently IMS has priority (as soon as the space bug bites me again, that is)

There, it bit you. Now come help out again! :lol:

No worries, we can wait. Im finally at the halfway mark of my tutorial, so I can start understanding the source soon

:hailprobe:

Columbia42

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble adding custom systems to Orbiter Galaxy. Whenever I place a new file into the custom systems folder alongside Sol, I am no longer able to navigate anywhere without pressing the "jump" button in the MFD. Instead, OG refuses to switch systems at the halfway mark as I have it set to do in the .cfg file. Is there something obvious I'm missing about the implementation of systems which could be causing this? Here is the custom system file I added:

Code:
Name Andor
alias Procyon
path AndorSystem
cntname Procyon
class F 5 IV
mass 1.10
radius 6.67
ecliptic 116.382 113.8 29.3234
surftemp 6074
age 3300
luminosity 3.4
planets 2

;-----------------------

planetnumber 1 0
moons 1
name Andor Prime
type sudarskyiv 
sma 7.48e11
ecc 0.00005
axtilt 3.805
mass 1.2e27
radius 1.09e8
albedo 0.11
period 4.74234954
day 113.816389

;----------------------------

planetnumber 1 1
name Andor
type terrestrial
sma 671371852.3956
ecc 0.045474
axtilt .0029624375
mass 8.95e24
surfpressure 101.4e3
medsurftemp 287.11
temprange 257 317 247 320
radius 6.575e6
albedo 0.01
period 241.23 
day 17.6019444
cloudfraction 0.1 

;-------------------------------

planetnumber 2 0
moons 0
name Weytahn
type martian
sma 10121992308623.3
ecc 0.4421668 
axtilt 6.88
mass 5.28625e23
surfpressure 636
medsurftemp 210
temprange 173 290 150 300
radius 2.77e6
albedo 0.67
period 1278.1
day 10.2188889

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're not missing something obvious, I must admitt that orbiter galaxy was never tested with more than sol as a custom system, since no systems were ever forthcomming. I'm all the more sorry that there are unexpected problems with it now that someone tries to make one...

So, just to make sure I got that right: Adding any custom solar system makes direct travel to any system impossible? That would be a very weird thing...

As I can see, you have renamed the system. If you leave the original system name, does the same happen? I'm afraid I'll have to make a complete setup first before I can test anything, so it could take a while until I get around to it. (indeed, at one time in the interim I thought I lost the entire source code, but I've been able to save it with a disc-doctor).

There, it bit you. Now come help out again!

Yeah, I'm feeling some slight stirring lately. I probably could force it by playing mass effect 3 and starting to watch farscape, but I'll just wait a little while longer to make sure... Spare Time hasn't really increased a lot lately either... :shifty:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Even without changing the star system's name the problem remains. As I said, the jump function still works fine but when travelling through normal space, OG never switches systems. Oddly, donatelo's Upsilon Andromedae addon adds a custom system without any adverse effects.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hum... then it's not a general problem. Probably something we're both overlooking, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start. Last development is so long ago, I'm not exactly very familiar with the code anymore (and the part I am still familiar with horrifies me, as is often the case when you look at your code after a while...)

I'll see if I can get some debug time in one of these days.

What you could do is post your orbiter galaxy config... I don't think it'll turn up anything, but save is save. Direct travel should be enabled no matter what FTL options you choose, though.