Orbiter graphics - Like these?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why not, the latest SimCity version already looks like that:

Mannheim_Innenstadt.jpg

;)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The problem of having realistic Earth (and Moon) terrain can be solved by using the Google Earth browser plugin as a render engine :thumbup: You'd only need to output the spacecraft coordinates to it... :)

Actually, here's a Lunar Rover http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/demos/milktruck/moon.html and lunar lander http://www.planetinaction.com/moonlander/ "simulations".

It's quite possible to simulate something more hardcore, but the point is don't mistake the graphic engine with physics engine and GUI. They are different things. The graphics are indeed the greatest limitation in orbiter and could be much better (support for normal maps, spec maps, etc), but it's not what it's all about.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
This is like comparing apple to oranges. I see nothing preventing that team messing with OVP source though to do more proof of their concepts. :p

That was harsh :D

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem of having realistic Earth (and Moon) terrain can be solved by using the Google Earth browser plugin as a render engine :thumbup: You'd only need to output the spacecraft coordinates to it... :)
We HAVE pretty realistic earth terrain... I really don't see the point of taking it much further, you'll only see it in the last minutes of landing anyways. And, since we're majorly landing in equatorial regions at main sea level, there's not much terrain to look at anyways.
I guess we could ask for more detailed microtextures, but the main thing differentiating the current Orulex what the infinity engine is capable of (or professes to be) is lighting, on which Artlav is busily chipping away, and collision detection, which might get some more attention once all the "shiny stuff" is done.

I really think that the improvement of graphics is high enough on the priority list. Maybe things could be sped up, but it would take another programer with Artlavs capabilities. These guys are rare, and for all it's worth, I'm damn glad we have him.

The primary difference will not be the planets and land gen. The primary difference will be the fact that while orbiter has a single solar system to navigate around, Infinity will have a realistic size galaxy of some 2 to 3 hundred billion stars and star systems, every single one of which you will be able to visit. The man already HAS a working model of the procedurally generated galaxy.
I'm working on it, I'm working on it. I'm pretty sure I'll get it done before the year is over (actually, I have a pretty much working model too... it's just not as scientifically accurate as I'd like it yet, but I'm pretty sure that infinity isn't either. And I'm absolutely convinced that I'll get it finished and Orbiter compatible before infity is released). Until then, you can have a go with Artlavs Spaceways...

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I'm working on it, I'm working on it. I'm pretty sure I'll get it done before the year is over (actually, I have a pretty much working model too... it's just not as scientifically accurate as I'd like it yet, but I'm pretty sure that infinity isn't either. And I'm absolutely convinced that I'll get it finished and Orbiter compatible before infity is released). Until then, you can have a go with Artlavs Spaceways...

And I am very anxiously awaiting the release of your galaxy...absolutely DROOLING for it in fact :) and yes, I've been following infinity since it was first announced and I'm pretty sure you will be done first. God I cant wait to fly my battlestars and flamberge around the galaxy :D

And where can I find this "spaceways"? Ive searched for it on the boards and in orbithangar but no luck...

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
orbiter graphics are good!

never tried to post attachments before, check out cool unaltered orbiter screenshots!

Attachments

• titan.jpg
    titan.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 296
  • dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 398
  • earth.jpg
    earth.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 301
  • ISS.jpg
    ISS.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 291
  • jupiter.jpg
    jupiter.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 820

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And where can I find this "spaceways"? Ive searched for it on the boards and in orbithangar but no luck...

Spaceways isn't an orbiter add-on, it is a complete standalone, developed majorly by Artlav, as far as I can tell. It features a full procedural galaxy with newtonian physics, seemless planetary flight and terrain (in fact, the engine of Spaceways is the basis of Orulex as well as the OGL-client currently in developement by Artlav). It doesn't feature much else than that yet, so it's not an actual game... kind of a modern version of Noctis, if you will. You can get it here:

http://s-way.sourceforge.net/main.eng.html

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Infinity is stuck in an endless loop of trying to match and beat EVE with graphics while doing nowhere near enough to get SOMETHING out. Sorry but 5+ years with pretty pictures and just a broken combat prototype to show for it isn't my idea of awesome.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I've flown in Flight Gear before, it isn't that bad.