Orbiter in your life

chobolatom

XR2 ESA Virtual Pilot
Reaction score
Yes, my friends tell me that I'm not normal but it is amazing to look at the night sky and see the beauty and how do you see as the ISS flies "over your head ... Ahh, it just can not describe. :hailprobe:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember my first ISS flyover. Well, how could I have? It was only two weeks ago, or something along those lines.

diogom

Reaction score
I just simply don't bring it up. The only time I talked about Orbiter to a friend was about the Star Wars addons, since like me, he's a fan of the saga. But he didn't seem interested in it, so I never talked about this again.
it's just something people don't understand. They don't get that while they may like shooter games, guitar hero, soccer games (actualy stuff that I also like very much), others might enjoy simulators. And that goes greatly to the before mentioned "they don't understand what a simulator is".

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Yeah, I remember my first ISS flyover. Well, how could I have? It was only two weeks ago, or something along those lines.

That's something so amazing that isn't forgoten easily.

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
May be it's better that way. Imagine your chance to work for NASA or ESA if everybody would like spaceflight, like we do. ;)

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Ok I meant TAKE.TAKE!!!!!!.Not steal.The first time he just copied it.I found it and confronted him and he deleted it from his folder.The second time he copied it and deleted it out of MY folder.Sorry for any confusion caused by my earlier comment.

diogom

Reaction score
Or take-off? Took me some weeks to figure that out. :facepalm:

ky

Reaction score
My first ISS flyover was 6 years ago.At that time I was obsessed with the shuttle program.At that time I was 8.I think I drove my parents and teachers crazy with it.I also don't mention Orbiter to that many people.Although there is a kid that practically stalks me for orbiter.He's like:"Kymani,I need to borrow your USB".(Because Orbiter is on it).Almost every class he does this.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Its getting into stable orbit that took me the first couple of weeks. Then I kinda focused on going to the moon, failed, tried going to the ISS, failed, and waited. Then I found R-warp and I just screwed around for a while before i tried to do anything. Now i can do all the basics. But i almost always overshoot KSC on re-entry. Oh well. Now I'm tryin to do interplanetary flight with TransX. But I don't know if i should keep on goin with transx or get IMFD.

EDIT: Again what does he even do? You should tell him its free.

ky

Reaction score
I dont even know if he can.I doubt it though.The folder is on a mac so he cant use orbiter.(It's not partitioned for windows)

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Its getting into stable orbit that took me the first couple of weeks. Then I kinda focused on going to the moon, failed, tried going to the ISS, failed, and waited. Then I found R-warp and I just screwed around for a while before i tried to do anything. Now i can do all the basics. But i almost always overshoot KSC on re-entry. Oh well. Now I'm tryin to do interplanetary flight with TransX. But I don't know if i should keep on goin with transx or get IMFD.

EDIT: Again what does he even do? You should tell him its free.

He hasnt used orbiter at all so I doubt he can do anything.(Im talking about the kid that practically stalks me for orbiter)I tried telling him it's free and where to download it but it doesnt get across to him.

diogom

Reaction score
First, I didn't know how to take off. Took some weeks, and all because having a laptop, didn't know how to use Numpad. :facepalm:
Then, when I finally got in the air, I had to start with the Shuttle, of course, the hardest one to get into orbit, specially when you don't know a bit of orbital mechanics. I just launched, pitched down, and on the rare ocasions I got to orbit, randomly, I didn't know how to view my orbit.
Today, launch, rendezvous, possible. But I still can't go to the Moon, nor re-enter.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
None of my hip-hop friends know about orbiter... My cousin knows because he is into this type of stuff... My mother knows I play orbiter and commonly acusses me of playing it when I don't get my homework done...

My free time:
Dog activities-30%
(arguing with dog 9%, fighting with dog 21%)
Watching free movies-15%
Orbiter Activities-17%
(Addon development 9%, Playing orbiter 8%)
3D software-13%
Watching women-20%
Other-20%

diogom

Reaction score
Ky, give him a flash drive with a link to Orbiter's download site. After all, he wants the flash drive right? You didn't disapoint him. :lol: If he persists, just tell him you had to delete it, 'cause you were running out of space, or something.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I kinda know how to re-enter, but i usually use the DG flight computer for that. The shuttle, still needs some work. Docking with it? please. Re-entering? I'd make the columbia look like a fire-cracker. Its waaaaaaay worse than that.

Keatah

Reaction score
Thing here is, normal people see us Orbiter fans filling our heads with useless and fictional knowledge.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Until.... we are the ones who are flying the ships. A good training tool this be. Especially for us younger orbinauts.

Anyways, if we're here, I think by now, we've realized we're not normal people ;)

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Wow, I just realized this thread has gotten much larger than I originally thought it would. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Keatah

Reaction score
I'd like to find out the core reason why people like orbiter or do not like orbiter. There has to be one underlying reason. Answers like it's too complex or slow-moving or not what I'm interested in are too generic.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Anyways, if we're here, I think by now, we've realized we're not normal people ;)

excactly - I think that more than 50 percent of the people in my school would not be able to launch a DGIV into orbit, even if they read the manual/tutorial. Well with AP maybe...
:lol:

greetings:tiphat:, HAL9001

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I usually just use the AP anyways. Makes life easier. And instead of 50% make it about 80%.

Ganelon

Reaction score
I haven't had Orbiter long, but I've shown it to a few people. Mostly, their comments have been that the graphics and sound are impressive. Only one of the people I've shown it to is inclined towards flight sims or space flying games. I got him to actually try flying it a little bit, and he liked it.

Others, even other gamers, seem a bit daunted by the instrumentation. But I don't know many people personally who do much flight simming other than the one friend, so I'm talking about a very small pool for opinions from people actually interested in something like Orbiter.

So far as wife and family, well, they're kinda used to me doing space games and flight sims. We all have our games, and it's not unusual for any of us here to spend a few hours gaming now and then.

I'm just running Orbiter 2010 with no add-ons yet. Mostly I've been trying the ships and getting used to the controls a bit. The only mission I've actually flown so far was "Smack!" as per "Go Play In Space (2nd edition)". Just goofing around, I've also done some final approaches with the Atlantis. I won't call those "landings" yet, since I only managed one without a bounce and with that one I missed the runway by a good bit. I was mostly sight-seeing and getting some feel for the ship in atmo. I figure I'll do a bit better after working through the rest of the examples in "Go Play In Space".

I like it so far. The eye-candy is good, the ships are sweet, and it's reasonably immersive. It has a sort of balance between entertainment and education that is quite attractive.