Project Orbiter MMU (oMMU) development thread

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ommu.png

As partially announced the other week, over the past few months I have been working on a new MMU framework to replace uMMU, so that you can finally let your poor crew members leave their vessels and stretch their legs in Orbiter 2016 :lol: While I can't give a solid release date at this momenet in time the current goal for an initial beta release is mid / late March.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KS3-33H88o"]oMMU : pre-pre-pre-alpha #1 - surface movement - YouTube[/ame]
Planned features for the first release:
  • (DONE) Ingress / Egress from vessels, in space or on a planet's surface.
  • (DONE) Crew transfer - Egress from one vessel and ingresss at an other, preserving all the details of that crewmember
  • (DONE) EVA in space
  • (DONE) Ship -> Ship crew transfers
  • (DONE) Surface movement - MMUs will smoothly walk across terrain - including slopes!
  • Simple C++ API to allow vessel authors to implement oMMU functionality in their vessels.
  • (DONE) (Practically¹) Unlimited Crew - Need your vessel to have one crew member, fourty or four-thousand? Barring any technical issues oMMU will let you.
  • (DONE) (Practically) Unlimited airlocks - Define as many airlocks as your vessel needs to function and manage them all through the API
  • Customizable MMU Meshes
  • Everything else...
Given the (relatively) early state of the add-on the final feature list for the first release is somewhat in flux, however all of the features listed above will make it into the initial releases, and as this is being created as a framework for the community as a whole to use I'm welcome to any suggestions for features to include or changes to make - though I can't make any promises as to when they'll be implemented.

A copy of the current API can be seen here oMMU API, in addition to this a sample vessel implementing oMMU functionality will be provided to show a reference implementation.

Oh, and apologies for the less than creative name², I'm a software engineer not a marketer :lol:
¹ The theoretical maximum is little over 5.3 million, however more realistically the limit is proably closer to 2 million
² Other names considered include: "...And Manned Maneuvering Units for All", "Almost Universal Manned Maneuvering Units For Orbiter Simulator 2016" (Or AUMMUFOS2016 for short) and "WooMMU"

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great. So I wonder about meshes. I supposed if you download Ummu 3.0? then you can edit something to get a ummu mesh.

Are you going to have suit on/suit off?

I would like to see changeable cockpit view mesh/background.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Great. So I wonder about meshes. I supposed if you download Ummu 3.0? then you can edit something to get a ummu mesh.

No, you can't just edit something from UMmu3.0 and redistribute without permission from the author. AFAIK, that work is still all rights reserved.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not redistribute. But for your own use. I suppose someone could make new meshes,....

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Woo482 can comment further, but I know from discussions about it on IRC that no files from UMMU will be used at all (nor should they be, as others have pointed out). As for meshes, I know Woo482 has been looking for some.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Bulky realistic EVA suit / Futuristic skinsuit / Jumpsuit is my plan ATM for 3-4 different models.

Working on skinsuit ATM:
helmet_visor.jpg

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
As has been said, no resources will be included from UMMU - though there's nothing stopping you from using whatever mesh files you'd like for personal use, the system will support that.

Are you going to have suit on/suit off?
Changing between flight suit / space suit will be possible, though there won't be any breathable habitats, at least in this version.

I would like to see changeable cockpit view mesh/background.
I don't see why not

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How immature of me:
Anna_render02.jpg

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey Woo482 would it be possible to add a feature to make the option for the oMMU model to either wear the flight suit,or space suit when exiting a vehicle? with uMMU,you could only exit the ship in a space suit.Thanks

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Sure, that's already possible with how it's implemented at the moment.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Or a proper suit. Oxfords, not Brogues.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Should be Doc Martins...

N.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Friendly criticism: I feel like the arms are leaning a bit into the realm of stick-bug appendage. I know it's a slippery slope and you probably don't want her to look like a gorilla, but there must be a happy medium ?

How immature of me:
Anna_render02.jpg

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Personally, I like long hair :flowers:
But I know it will be a problem in a ss :lol:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a quick progress update. Development is going well and is on track for an initial alpha in 2-3 weeks, presuming no developer seeking buses or acts of god interrupt development. The first post has been updated to show the current feature list and completion status and I'll post an updated API guide later today too, if I can get LaTeX to play nicely :lol:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So will be where you can place a virtual airlock and tie the animation to the opening/closing of the airlock. Multiple airlocks would be nice.

And then when the airlock is open the ommu is made, right? Enter the airlock it goes away

Marijn

Reaction score
Great news. I am really looking forward to this. It's always nice to have the option to have someone volunteer in case LOX calculations turned out to be suboptimal.