General Question Orbiter on a big screen

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if i could link my computer to my tv. Its 42inch LED HD tv. I thought it would cool to play it on a big screen. I have D3D9 client. Also would i be able to use a surround sound system? Would orbiter be bad quality on a big screen?
Thanks

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would depend upon the quality of the resolution you use. I recently helped my dad install a 48 inch in our house. Hooked it up via RGB cable and launched orbiter. Our favorite sim never looked so good. :cool:

As for surround sound, just plug up your computer or laptop (whatever you run orbiter on) to a surround sound system. Should work magnificently.

:tiphat:

SE

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok thanks
so orbiter is no good on 42inch

Columbia42

Reaction score
It should work fine, I've used both HDMI cables and AV cables to play Orbiter on my TV and it worked fine after tweaking the resolution in the launchpad a little. As for surround sound I believe the latest version of Orbiter Sound has some support for that but I'm not sure.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok thanks
so orbiter is no good on 42inch

It works brilliantly, you just need to make sure the resolution is high. I run Orbiter in a 1366x768 window on my laptop. When you hook the laptop up to the HDTV, just pick a high resolution like that, but run in fullscreen. D3D9 client your friend here.

As for using an HDMI cable, I didn't know that was possible with a computer. Thanks for the information there. :tiphat:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
HDMI all the way !!!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Donamy is right. HDMI ftw.

and 48 inches, sounds like a lovely screen to Orbiter on.

keep with progressive......if for some reason your tv only supports 1080i and not 1080p, you are better off going with 720p.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Donamy is right. HDMI ftw.

and 48 inches, sounds like a lovely screen to Orbiter on.

keep with progressive......if for some reason your tv only supports 1080i and not 1080p, you are better off going with 720p.

Supports 1080p. The best ever I've seen television. Can't beleive we didn't buy an HDTV years ago.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have just one more problem. My pc is about 2 meters away from my tv... Is there a way to link them up wirlesly?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Modern LCDs appear as monitors under Windows, when connected through HDMI. So it's only a matter of connecting, setting the display to the LCD native resolution and disable the laptop's screen.

What might not work OK are dualscreen or "clone" setups, because resolutions will be different. Some setup is needed for those.

But for a single screen config, simply connect using HDMI.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No way doing it via wifi ? I have our wifi modem in the same room so i have a fast connection

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have just one more problem. My pc is about 2 meters away from my tv... Is there a way to link them up wirlesly?

That is something you will have to use Google to find out. As far as I know, no you cannot connect it wirelessly. Sorry I can't help.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No way doing it via wifi ? I have our wifi modem in the same room so i have a fast connection

Remember that orbiter (or to be precise your graphics card) sends uncompressed video signal to monitor/LCD etc via HDMI cable. Let's do a quick calculation: HD pixture is 1920x1080 pixels x 3 bytes per pixel (assuming 24 bit color). That's ~6 megabytes per frame. let's assume your screen refreshes at 60hz so we have 60 frames per second. So we have 360 megabytes per second or in "networking units" it's 2880 megabits/s.

That's almost 3 gigabits/s. You sure you have that type of connection?? I suggest using HDMI cable. It was designed to handle such transfers :p

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Loru beat me to it, so I'll just leave it at... :hesaid:

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cables ar not much of an option for me because it would have to go across the room. Thanks for the help guys

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why not using longer cable and place it along the wall?

Last edited:

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just searched ebay and found a 3meter long HDMI cable is only £1-2. I think i will go for that option

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Do i need another cable for surround sound or does the HDMI cover sound?