Orbiter time line

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
The release of Orbiter 2010 has got me thinking, what about the past versions of orbiter? When did the first version come out? How many versions have there been? How did Orbiter change from one release to the others. I was really interested to learn about the history of Orbiter and its addons.

Rach

Reaction score
I downloaded it ten minutes ago :lol:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This actually choked me up a bit...

Attachments

• Old Orbiter.jpg
    Old Orbiter.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 181

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to download 010503? :p

I've downloaded it.

In the misty days when the Deltaglider looked like something out of a cartoon... :lol:

I've had it for about a year now.

How do I know you're telling the truth. :shifty:

This actually choked me up a bit...

It is rather sad. But we have an improved, brand NEW version of Orbiter to replace it. :thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've played 010503. It's one of those things where it pretty much sucks because you're used to your shiny 2006 or 2010 edition, but you know that one day, back in 2001 this was pretty freaking cool (or at least would have been, if not for those meddling popular games.)

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
I just played 010503.... I fell back laughing cause it sucks so much compared to O2010.... I tried frantically to look around by dragging the right-mouse button.... It didn't work......:lol:

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Something else along these lines I was wondering, who released the first addon? What was it? How did the orbiter community start?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Insofar as what's contained in the changelog for the earliest version I could find, which was the 010503 version hosted on OrbitHangar, Orbiter's first release build was 001127, or November 27th, 2000.

Which in turn prompted me to do something silly and make a Ten year tribute video.

Enjoy.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
You're very correct, I totally forgot to.

As a matter of fact, I made several fails in that video, and one half-fail.

Counting not closing the nose of the DGIV, I also crashlanded the XR1 at the end (trying to fly and film in that view mode at the same time = fail), and at the end of the DGIV scene there is a moment where it freezes up and the windows 7 start button pops up in the lower left.

Besides that, because I was filming a playback of my SSU launch (it made sense, didn't want to have to run the launch three times for the angles I wanted) the Hydraulic pressure failure warning appears on the bottom left, though the shuttle launches anyway, of course. (So I count that a half-fail).

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Nice vid, Xyon. The only thing I think is a shame is you didn't really feature any planet/moon textures, which have also improved over the years. But the music made up for that lol, fitting choice. Also, no other bases were featured... :shifty:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hmm. I guess you're right, but it struck me while making it I had to stick to some hard choices about what to include and which to exclude to fit inside the song's length. I wanted to include the loading screens as transitions between the versions, and the stock DG I used to show the basic improvement.

I may well make another video at some point soon which better showcases Orbiter as a whole, but I fear I've hijacked this thread enough already. >.>

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I love this video. One thing I have to say about is that it makes it look like UCGO and the Apollo are just for 2010. Still, it is awesome:thumbup:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Looks like Orbiter was pretty much complete 10 years ago! Since then it's been eye-candy and clever marketing :lol:.