Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
First up, I'd like to second Enjo's suggestion below:
We could finally start using OrbiterWiki
http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Right now the only posters there are Urwumpe and spambots
:p

So, I have an account at OrbiterWiki and can edit pages. How do I make a new article (specifically for AttitudeMFD)? I am pretty new to contributing to wikis, so treat me like a child if necessary :) That said, it did not seem obvious how to achieve this.

Also, can the forum link in the side bar be changed to Orbiter-Forum?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just enter the name of the article you want to create into the search line - for example "AttitudeMFD".

And it can get changed, but to which page is the problem. I will think about it

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
I have some questions about OrbiterWiki.

1) What is the idea behind a (yet another) separate Wiki, what are the advantages and what can't be done on the 'real' Wiki?
We really have to make everything twice now, one time on the real wiki and once again on the OrbiterWiki.

2) Who hosts OrbiterWiki, or who is responsible for paying the host and guarantee of backups?

The OrbiterWiki is of course a great resource, and I've been using it for quite some time now (years?), but I've always wondered about these questions.

regards,
mcduck

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I have some questions about OrbiterWiki.

1) What is the idea behind a (yet another) separate Wiki, what are the advantages and what can't be done on the 'real' Wiki?
We really have to make everything twice now, one time on the real wiki and once again on the OrbiterWiki.

2) Who hosts OrbiterWiki, or who is responsible for paying the host and guarantee of backups?

The OrbiterWiki is of course a great resource, and I've been using it for quite some time now (years?), but I've always wondered about these questions.

regards,
mcduck

Saves having all your eggs in one basket.

Just in case M6(for example) loses the entire basket...;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

1. Mostly to have a wiki for Orbiter specific stuff, which would be candidate for deletion on Wikipedia. The Orbiter Solar Nations, for example, would not be considered relevant for Wikipedia. The same with VSAs or the various smaller add-ons. Also it is a good host for tutorials.

2. Roman Starkov (RaMan). Because of the lack of activity, we even had a small downgrade lately. But a full end of OrbiterWiki is currently unlikely.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks for your help Urwumpe.

I've now added my article. I even figured out the templates and categories.

Well done!

As a piece of technical writing, and in the format approach, this is really a fine piece of work.

Accessibility is key to this stuff isn't it? Not just in understanding, but the physical ability to find it, too. M6's current problem really emphasizes this, and NukeEt's absolutely right - multiple copies and locations is a good idea.

BTW - I've really enjoyed using this addon in several different scenarios, and its one of the few I seldom disable.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Well done!

As a piece of technical writing, and in the format approach, this is really a fine piece of work.
I think I've just had too many late nights reading other wikis :)

BTW - I've really enjoyed using this addon in several different scenarios, and its one of the few I seldom disable.
Thanks. Hopefully it will be even better soon, if I can get the bugs out.

Accessibility is key to this stuff isn't it? Not just in understanding, but the physical ability to find it, too. M6's current problem really emphasizes this, and NukeEt's absolutely right - multiple copies and locations is a good idea.
I agree that accessibility is important and I think the idea behind wikis is great. I had been toying with making an article for AttitudeMFD for a while. I think for future releases I will keep the manual/article on OrbiterWiki and put a link in the readme. Given the recent M6 dramas, I think it would also be prudent to keep a copy of the article's text in the addon download (it is a pretty small overhead after all).

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As Urwumpe states, an article like AttitudeMFD would be a candidate for deletion on Wikipedia. I see the Wikipedia article more as an introduction to the simulator, whereas OrbiterWiki has all the juicy bits that aren't of any interest to those who aren't actually using Orbiter. This is a pretty common arrangement (Flightgear springs to mind).

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hey, theres a thread for this already...and it looks like most of the issues from '08 are still relevant. We've briefly talked about fixing/using the Wiki in other threads, so I thought resurrecting this thread might be a good idea.

Here's the thing, and I think we all agree on this, in it's current state, the wiki is sort of useless. Can anyone honestly say they still go there for information.

New users: did you know we had a wiki?

Let's use this thread to discuss fixing it and making it into useful resource. Obviously we need to fix the spam issue and it need help from everyone updating and maintaining.

Other thoughts:

Is Roman still active?
Can we integrate the forum/ohm user databases.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I think we have to delete the off-topic articles (e.g. 1967 in spaceflight, which should obviously belong to Wikipedia) from Orbiter Wiki first in order to maintain the scope of anything related to the Orbiter simulator that don't belong to Wikipedia. Then we should fix the spamming issue. I need an @Urwumpe to delete such articles.

Last edited:

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I was just there in the last couple days and added about a hundred bogus pages to the articles nominated for deletion category . . . Then I browsed the Special Pages:Uncategorized Pages, there are almost 12k, only maybe a dozen or so are legit, the rest are bogus. First, there needs to be a Captcha or ‘pick out the images with buses’ kinda thing in order to register as a user, also for unregistered users to create new pages. I am working on entering categories for the legit pages from that list. Once that’s done, what’s left would be the trash. Maybe someone could write a bot or script to delete the rest. I just joined theaquarium.com a few days ago. I had to Captcha to become a user, then, I couldn’t create any pages, not even my user page, until I did a certain number of edits over a couple of days before I was auto confirmed and they could see that I was legit. Might be a bit hard on new users, but any worth their salt would understand. All this should help knock off the nonsense at OrbiterWiki. Any thoughts or comments?

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Also, I saw that RaMan did an edit on 17 October, apparently the first in about 5 years.

MikeB

Reaction score
Is it feasible to use Orbiter Forum registrations to check on OrbiterWiki registrations? And then not allow anyone to create/edit an article unless they are registered in both places? That might be a way to cut down spam.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I don't like cutting down the spam like this. I think the better solution for this is to fight against them directly, by putting spammy articles into speedy deletion and reverting spammy edits. I have no opinion on other spams.