OrbSound Orbitersound and XRSound.. How to use both?

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hey y'all.
I really like XRSound, but I decided to install Orbitersound 5.0.
They are both really good, and I like to use some features of each.
Is there a way to use both of them? I would like to fly XR vessels with it also, soo.
I tried installing Soundbridge but it didn't play OS effects nor mp3 panel was visible.
Thanks!

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hello! You can't activate both modules at once because they will conflict. You can only have one sound module activated at once. But you can then also use one (not both!) of the two sound bridges available to play back sounds through the active sound module. This will let you have sound for vessels that use either XRSound or OrbiterSound 5.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hello! You can't activate both modules at once because they will conflict. You can only have one sound module activated at once. But you can then also use one (not both!) of the two sound bridges available to play back sounds through the active sound module. This will let you have sound for vessels that use either XRSound or OrbiterSound 5.
So I installed the Soundbridge, but I can't hear OS sound effects, even though I have both OS and XRSound enabled in the modules tab.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
You should only activate either XRSound or OrbiterSound 5, but never both. Then you should activate the correct sound bridge based which sound module you have installed. i.e.,

• If you activated XRSound, then you should also activate Face's SoundBridge so that OrbiterSound vessels play back their sounds via XRSound. Do not activate OrbiterSound 5.
  • Conversely, if you activated OrbiterSound 5, then you should also activate the OrbiterSound 5 -> XRSound bridge linked elsewhere on the forum. Do not activate XRSound.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You should only activate either XRSound or OrbiterSound 5, but never both. Then you should activate the correct sound bridge based which sound module you have installed. i.e.,

• If you activated XRSound, then you should also activate Face's SoundBridge so that OrbiterSound vessels play back their sounds via XRSound. Do not activate OrbiterSound 5.
  • Conversely, if you activated OrbiterSound 5, then you should also activate the OrbiterSound 5 -> XRSound bridge linked elsewhere on the forum. Do not activate XRSound.
So if XRSound is activated only with the bridge, will OS mp3 panel, atc, and sound effects will play?
I want XRSound to play my cockpit sounds, but OS for the music, atc, and aerodynamical sound effects, etc.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I want XRSound to play my cockpit sounds, but OS for the music, atc, and aerodynamical sound effects, etc.

That's not possible. You can currently either have OS5 installed together with the bridge from XR to OS to hear XR-vessel sounds, or have XR installed together with the bridge from OS to XR to hear OS-vessel sounds. A merger of both overall features (generic cockpit sounds, MFDs, jukebox etc.) is not working to my knowledge.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That's not possible. You can currently either have OS5 installed together with the bridge from XR to OS to hear XR-vessel sounds, or have XR installed together with the bridge from OS to XR to hear OS-vessel sounds. A merger of both overall features (generic cockpit sounds, MFDs, jukebox etc.) is not working to my knowledge.
Ohh, so if I want to hear OS for all my vessels but for XR vessels I neeed XRSound, I would use the OS to XR bridge?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hm. Let me try to elaborate on that a little, perhaps it gets across better.

Both XR and OS consist of two things: the core systems and vessel-SDKs. The core systems do generic vessel sounds and goodies like MFDs and such. With the SDKs, other addon developers can do vessel-specific sounds. These vessel-specific sounds are additional to the generic vessel sounds the core systems deliver.

The problem now is that once an addon is compiled, you can't change the SDK it uses anymore. So once you have one core system running, vessels with the SDK of the other system don't emit vessel-specific sounds anymore. Generic vessel sounds are still active, of course, because they are done by the core system itself.

For the vessel-specific sound problem, there is the sound-bridge solution: it acts as if the other core system is also active, but just passes the vessel-specific sound action through to the installed core system. That's really all it does, nothing more.

If I understood you right, your main concern is having the OS5 MFD and the corresponding jukebox-function. For this, I'd suggest to install OS5 as core system, as well as the corresponding bridge from XR SDK to OS5. With this, you will have:
  • all OS5 features including MFDs
  • full support for OS5 vessel-specific sounds (i.e. addons compiled for OS5 will fully function)
  • bridge support for XR vessel-specific sounds (i.e. addons compiled for XR will have functioning vessel-specific sounds)

You will not have:
  • XR generic sounds (i.e. various ambient noises and generic call-outs, e.g. "welcome on board, commander")
  • XR features (e.g. configuration file settings to map sounds individually)

If your main concern is the lovely voice actor's call-outs from XR, though, you can instead install XR as core system and the bridge from OS SDK to XR. With this, you will have:
  • all XR features including generic cockpit sounds
  • full support for XR vessel-specific sounds
  • bridge support for OSx vessel-specific sounds

You will not have:
  • OS features (e.g. MFD and jukebox)
  • OS generic sounds

You can't have all of the above advantages with any combination, though. You'll have to decide.

Perhaps it is possible to install both core systems and configure them to mix and match sounds via filters, but I don't know if this is even possible for all setups right now. It certainly is non-trivial and hard to maintain. I guess you would be on your own with such a Frankenstein solution.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also remember that those sound engines ultimately rely on sound files, that are provided with them.

From there, what you can do is ie. manually replacing Orbitersound GPWS callouts by XRsound files (renaming the files and maybe converting them to the proper format, I'm not even sure that that last step is required). Its not that different from say, replacing or editing a texture file.

What you can't do : publishing any kind of addon that rely on your setup. You can do this only in the context of personal use. Because of intellectual property.