order of operations in a straight equation

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Multiplication being a second order operation, it needs to be carried out first.
10+10*0=?
-> = 10+0
-> = 10

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
You're not serious, are you?

10+10*0

School, first or second grade - do multiplications and divisions first, summation and subtractions second.
So, the answer is?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On a side note - do the sing the multiplication table in US schools, or just tell to memorise it whatever way?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
@ Artlav, well there were these songs that the teacher played us for multiplication tables (each number up through 12 had their own song). Honestly I hated hearing them, but they did make it easier to memorize them.
Many years later those have been done away with I suppose. My daughter had never heard of them...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On a side note - do the sing the multiplication table in US schools, or just tell to memorise it whatever way?
We were taught a few mnemonics for them in elementary school in the '90s, but otherwise just expected to read and memorise. [rant]Where I live now, they don't even do times tables at all. In middle school they start 'doubling' numbers, but they aren't taugh proper multiplication or division until high school suddenly hits them with algebra. I've taught my 7yo sister how to subtract and multiply and divide by 2, and it's put her three years ahead of the rest of her class, just by sitting down with me for two hours one weekend! :facepalm:[/rant]

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
It's really sad. They have so much confidence... look at this one:

Zach Munchy said:
Whoever put 10 and 20 is :censored:ing retarded

Two people liked this? Really. Or the other one, which was teaching us the basics of mathematics... he answered 0 as well.

Really, really sad.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I went to elementary school early this last decade (early 2000's) and we learned songs to help us memorize multiplication tables. I can't say I remember them, but I do remember learning them :lol:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Are you sure this is not a spoof? If you type "10 + 10 x 0" into google you'll find that this screenshot seems to make the rounds at the moment. I'd be the first to lament the quality of school education, but this seems a bit much.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
BIDMAS

Brackets
Indices
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

so brackets have BIDMAS applied to themselves before the rest of the expression, and brackets within brackets are treated first and so on, untill the "deepest" level of brackets is only treated with IDMAS

HarvesteR

Reaction score
That's basic operator precedence...

10 + 10 * 0 is calculated like this: 10 + (10 * 0)

Standard precedence, IINM, is like this:

1. Powers, Roots
2. Multiplications, Divisions
3. Sums, Subtractions

wherever there is ambiguity (as in, 3 * 6 / 15), whichever comes first gets calculated first.

The brackets, parenthesis and braces are used to override the normal precedence... there is essentially no difference between the symbols themselves, they're just used like this { [ ( ) ] } to facilitate reading (actually, if you're coding, only parentheses are used to override precedence)

Are you sure this is not a spoof? If you type "10 + 10 x 0" into google you'll find that this screenshot seems to make the rounds at the moment. I'd be the first to lament the quality of school education, but this seems a bit much.

I also can't believe people would actually argue against this. It's 3rd grade math :p
But then again, as Einstein said, human stupidity IS infinite. You can't say no one would be THAT stupid ;)

Oh well, at least MOST people answered right...

Cheers

Last edited:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
That's basic operator precedence...

10 + 10 * 0 is calculated like this: 10 + (10 * 0)

Standard precedence, IINM, is like this:

1. Powers, Roots
2. Multiplications, Divisions
3. Sums, Subtractions

wherever there is ambiguity (as in, 3 * 6 / 15), whichever comes first gets calculated first.

The brackets, parenthesis and braces are used to override the normal precedence... there is essentially no difference between the symbols themselves, they're just used like this { [ ( ) ] } to facilitate reading (actually, if you're coding, only parentheses are used to override precedence)

But then again, as Einstein said, human stupidity IS infinite. You can't say no one would be THAT stupid ;)

Cheers

In out school we just start multiplication in 3rd grade :facepalm:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
In out school we just start multiplication in 3rd grade :facepalm:

Well, that depends on school systems... In brazil, the average age in 3rd grade is 9 years old... That might not be the case in other countries... grades might follow a different numbering scheme.

It might actually be 5th grade, though, I can't be sure (I seem to have blocked out any memory of elementary school like a bad trauma ;) )

Hmm, first grade is sums and subtractions, second is multiplications and divisions, third just might be expressions... I really don't remember...

Cheers

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...cough... Karl Friedrich Gauss ...cough... is spinning in his grave...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
3rd grade, we learned songs for multiplication tables. Probably learned PEMDAS about the same time. I don't know of any standardized test or curriculum in the US that would allow you to not know this.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Our numbers don't sing as well.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I've looked around, but I can't seem to find a link to the original discussion... all I get is the image...

Does anyone have a link to it? (if it's still up that is)

Going through that discussion must be an exercise in facepalm management :lol: :facepalm:

Cheers

EDIT: Found it! it seems to be real then :facepalm:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=175468245841388&qa_ref=nac&post_id=176251852429694

After reading through it for a while, my faith in humanity is down by at least an order of magnitude :suicide:

Last edited: