Passengers movie (SPOILERS thread)

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Anyone see the new Passengers movie?

*Spoilers below!!!*

I just watched it and really enjoyed the space ship. It is what comes to mind when I think of a ship for a long interstellar cruise. The detail for the different rooms in the ship and the space scenes were amazing. The whole love story was pretty formulaic and predictable though, and I didn't feel like Lawrence Fishburn's character added much to the movie. Also, the bartender character seemed like a ripoff of the bartender in The Shining. Overall, it was an okay movie though.

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Passengers (film)

Have you seen passengers?

What do you think of her?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it! :thumbup: Had some interesting twists, and it was a pleasant departure from the usual "ZOMG GUY SAVES THE HELPLESS GIRL!!!!elevenone" Hollywood stereotype.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's a nice movie, but don't forget to put your "realism" expectation to "fantasy" setting, since there is almost no real physics in there.
Good thing is, the movie is good enough that this isn't too distracting.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I went to see Passengers after seeing no advertisement whatsoever. I did like the setup of the movie, and I did like the spaceship as well as the space background.
However, the rest... Classic love story, nothing really new about it. They took an extraordinary setup and put an extra-unordinary scenario. The bartender's "anthropomorphism" slider was constantly changing (from "I can't answer metaphysical questions" to "I constantly wipe my glasses to make myself feel more human").
The garden of Eden ending was a nice touch though.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I saw it at the beginning of January right before the Rogue One (just because I noticed it's played 2 hours earlier in another hall of the same cinema). I saw a trailer already some time ago, but it wasn't on my "must to see" list and I probably would miss it if it wasn't on the same day as Star Wars.

Nice movie overall, with a guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, a gal from The Hunger Games, a bartender I saw in some movies, but I can't associate with any particular, and a cameo of Morpheus.

don't forget to put your "realism" expectation to "fantasy" setting
Unless it's a documentary, I don't set my realism expectation of any sci-fi movie any high, and it was already set even lower by being prepared to see Star Wars next.

Physics aside, I liked the special effect of the pool water without gravity. On the other hand the scene of manually opening a vent from outside reminded me The Core. One thing was surely strange for me - why did they put only one surgical/medical station on such a big ship when people were to wake up already from a few months to a few weeks before arriving at the destination? I also find it a little stupid to fly there just to write a story and return when all people you knew are already dead.

Additionally to compare it with following it Rogue One, it felt somehow longer though the running time of the Star Wars story was actually longer, I remember more details from rather slow paced Passengers better than from more fast paced Rogue One, and I could see 3D effects better in it - in Rogue One I saw a couple of scenes in double vision (but that could be some technical/calibration issues in the 2nd cinema hall rather than the movie - it was the same 3D glasses and the same distance from the screen for both movies).

To end, the movie could play nicely in ancient Greek theatre, where only 2-3 actors were allowed on the stage at the same time (the epilogue which shows bunch of people would be of course narrated, like it was in the movie). :p

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I seemed original and at the same time I remember eden, and its unique settlers, the sleeping beauty, Princess Aurora.

the moral problem, The damage to the other by selfishness, in opposition to The sacrifice for others.

redemption and forgiveness through the possibility of election.

In addition to an interesting vessel, gravity to centrifugation , and helical habitat that takes into account the coriolis acceleration and ion engine.

without carrying fuel tank, its force field, that protects it and conducts the interstellar gas to the engine of fusion and to the propellant , Type Bussard ramjet.

Good actress Jennifer Lawrence

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Just saw the film on video. I enjoyed it enough. However, I must say the key plot point on which the film rests that once you wake someone up you don't have the facilities on board to put them back to sleep doesn't seem plausible. In one scene for example
it was shown the ship had extremely advanced automated life resuscitation methods available.

On a mission planning aspect it also seems unlikely you wouldn't have the capability of waking key crew personnel if something goes wrong then putting them back to sleep when the problem is corrected.

Also, about the ending
it would have been nicer if the two of them did have children so that generations later when the rest of the passengers wakened they would be greeted by the original two's descendents.

About the plot, do you think it would be bearable for a couple to see no one else but each other for decades?

Bob Clark

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There's a fan edit that restructures the movie around the girl's POV and that makes it more interesting.
Anyway, it's a decent movie to see as a couple ;)
Bearable for a couple to see no one else? Sure, why not?
If you have a deep relationship with a person, you know when to give space :)