Payload Interface

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Lets assume, we use a system based on a fixed number of attachments, which can partially get moved. Lets assume also, that the payload attachments will be at the end of the parent->child attachment list. The order of the attachments shall stay constant over a long time.

So, which P->C attachments do we need? my proposal:

Fixed:
0. RMS End-effector
1. OBSS
2. MMU1 (historic, do we need them?)
3. MMU2
4. Docking port Aux (allow us simulating soft docking)

dynamic centerline payloads, controlled by the payload 1-3 interfaces

5. Payload 1
6. Payload 2
7. Payload 3.

Static centerline Payloads:

8. Static C/L payload 1
9. Static C/L payload 2
10. Static C/L payload 3.

Pseudo static Port sill payloads (Are static inside the Shuttle, but can later get separated by EVA)

11. Port static 1
12. Port Static 2
13. Port Static 3

The same starboard

14. Starboard Static 1
15. Starboard Static 2
16. Starboard Static 3

EDIT: Moved it out from the SSU thread, so we can work on it better here.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks like a good solid plan, nothing big missing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
DaveS: I am not sure on the side sill payloads, I think we sometimes need 4 on a side, but for being sure, I would need some more information on the flown payloads.

I think, we should exclude Spacelab and Spacehab (pressurized module) from the normal list of payloads, and make these part of the Shuttle Orbiter. This will take some of the most complex payload bay configurations away.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS: I am not sure on the side sill payloads, I think we sometimes need 4 on a side, but for being sure, I would need some more information on the flown payloads.

I think, we should exclude Spacelab and Spacehab (pressurized module) from the normal list of payloads, and make these part of the Shuttle Orbiter. This will take some of the most complex payload bay configurations away.
Yes. If you need to test this, I still have my old STS-107 payloads pack left with updated meshes and textures available. All of the 107 payloads were non-deployable.

However, we could need some way to make the payloads active so that they can support animations as some of the GAS cans of FREESTAR had moveable lids.

Also, the SpaceHAB RDM was equipped with a CCTV camera on it's aft left bulkhead, just like the orbiter payload bay cameras, this too has been modelled on the SpaceHAB mesh.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, we could make each GAS container a vessel and attach it to a structure. How are the GAS containers handled by the crew?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, we could make each GAS container a vessel and attach it to a structure. How are the GAS containers handled by the crew?
Standard switch panel actions. I'll ask on NSF if anyone has any photos or drawings of the IUS, GAS and HST FSS switch panels.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know that at least some of the IUS switch panels are installed at the place of the ODS panels. But I don't know the exact layout.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I noticed the IUS panel says L10. Is that at our Port station view ? The other panels just say standard switch panels, we would have to find more info on their placement.

There is no way, we can do all the missions, to the detail we want, so we will have to agree on which to do. I can do the panels, we will have to call them as individual "mission VC addons I think.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I noticed the IUS panel says L10. Is that at our Port station view ? The other panels just say standard switch panels, we would have to find more info on their placement.

It is Port side, but standard switch panels are also payload panels, which can get swapped. They just follow a standard layout.

I know that a IUS mission also had special stuff in the A7A3 region, but I can't tell what kind of panel it is.

There is no way, we can do all the missions, to the detail we want, so we will have to agree on which to do. I can do the panels, we will have to call them as individual "mission VC addons I think.

Not instantly. But if the ODS panel code stays as simple, adding more optional panels will be possible. I still need to find a robust way to connect the cable connections of the payload to a Orbiter, but at least two possible ways are already in my head.

My personal long term goal would be being capable of flying a whole cycle of a Orbiter:
Prelaunch -> Launch -> Orbit -> Reentry -> Landing -> Turnaround -> Assembly -> Prelaunch -> Launch -> Orbit...

But that is really long term.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And there are always fictitious ones also.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The attachment point plan looks good, although I'm not sure if 3 attachment points in each set will be enough.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The attachment point plan looks good, although I'm not sure if 3 attachment points in each set will be enough.
Isn't it good enough for now, to just test out the system? If it works well and good, we could expand it to let's say 6 side wall attachments per side.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think 3-4 moveable (around Z) connections at each side can do it, maybe we can also need two attachments for the special bays at the RMS Shoulder joint.

There are also these complex shaped EVA tool boxes, i don't know, are they attached to the side or are they installed into the External Airlock Truss?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think 3-4 moveable (around Z) connections at each side can do it, maybe we can also need two attachments for the special bays at the RMS Shoulder joint.

There are also these complex shaped EVA tool boxes, i don't know, are they attached to the side or are they installed into the External Airlock Truss?
Are you talking about the Tool Box Assemblies on eother side of the airlock? In that case, they're attached directly to the truss.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, so if the truss is part of the Orbiter in our case, we should also make the attachments for the tool box assemblies part of the Orbiter. What about making them additional side wall attachment points when the ODS or external Airlock is not flown?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, so if the truss is part of the Orbiter in our case, we should also make the attachments for the tool box assemblies part of the Orbiter. What about making them additional side wall attachment points when the ODS or external Airlock is not flown?
Not sure if a side wall payload has ever flown in those bays that the airlock now occupies.

They're usually areas that NASA doesn't want to fill up due to EVA requirements.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not sure if a side wall payload has ever flown in those bays that the airlock now occupies.

They're usually areas that NASA doesn't want to fill up due to EVA requirements.

Well, I don't know the requirements, but we can make it possible to move the additional side attachments to any location, unless the ODS is installed.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Isn't it good enough for now, to just test out the system? If it works well and good, we could expand it to let's say 6 side wall attachments per side.
The problem is that, when we add new attachment points, the scenario files will get messed up. This will be fine for testing, but after we release a new version I think we should try to avoid changing the attachment point numbers.