Support Payloads and RMS

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to release HST from SSU. I've made this in default shuttle to know the grapple point, then I moved RMS into the same position and clicked Ctrl + Enter multiple times and nothing happens. Excuse me as I am not a 'NASA Geek' and couldn't find any tutorials for releasing payloads using RMS.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hello,

I am trying to release HST from SSU. I've made this in default shuttle to know the grapple point, then I moved RMS into the same position and clicked Ctrl + Enter multiple times and nothing happens. Excuse me as I am not a 'NASA Geek' and couldn't find any tutorials for releasing payloads using RMS.

The RMS operation is described in the SSU manual.

After grappling the HST, or other payload, you must release the payload latches holding the HST to the PLB.
The payload latches controls are on panel A6U. There are 3 sets of 5 latches. To release or latch a payload you must first power the system using the "PL BAY MECH PWR" switches on panel R13L, and then on panel A6U the "Payload Retention Logic Power" switches. Then you must select the payload "set", using the rotaty switch "Payload Select", and the status of each latch will be displayed in the talkbacks. To switches below the talkbacks control the release or latching of that latch.

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The RMS operation is described in the SSU manual.

After grappling the HST, or other payload, you must release the payload latches holding the HST to the PLB.
The payload latches controls are on panel A6U. There are 3 sets of 5 latches. To release or latch a payload you must first power the system using the "PL BAY MECH PWR" switches on panel R13L, and then on panel A6U the "Payload Retention Logic Power" switches. Then you must select the payload "set", using the rotaty switch "Payload Select", and the status of each latch will be displayed in the talkbacks. To switches below the talkbacks control the release or latching of that latch.

How I can know I've grappled a payload? It doesn't show any message. Also, how to know the grappling points?

So the procedure now is to grapple the payload then set the payload and set the 5 switches to latch. Right?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello,

You need to put the End Effector mode switch on panel A8U in the AUTO position.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
How I can know I've grappled a payload? It doesn't show any message. Also, how to know the grappling points?
It shows on talkbacks on Panel A8U.

So the procedure now is to grapple the payload then set the payload and set the 5 switches to latch. Right?
The procedure is quite simple: (1) grapple the payload with the RMS, (2) release it from the PLB, (3) move it out of the PLB with the RMS, (4) release it from the RMS.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But, the RMS is broken, The EE does not hold to the grapple fixture, after using rotation.

I doubt it will be fixed, so we have a sim that is good for watching launches, and taking pretty pictures.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But, the RMS is broken, The EE does not hold to the grapple fixture, after using rotation.

I doubt it will be fixed, so we have a sim that is good for watching launches, and taking pretty pictures.
That's only partially true. Through my own testings on the matter done in order to submit an official bug report, the issue only happens when you repeatably move the EE through a singularity while grappled to a payload. And it only moves very slightly each time you do it. For a nominal mission this is a non-issue. And it is completely neutralized by using time acceleration.

I detailed the reproduction steps in the official bug report: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1324

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ive noticed it alot worse than that. And time acceleration is not very immersive .

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Can someone use URMS by kulch?

Johan2011

Reaction score
That's only partially true. Through my own testings on the matter done in order to submit an official bug report, the issue only happens when you repeatably move the EE through a singularity while grappled to a payload. And it only moves very slightly each time you do it. For a nominal mission this is a non-issue. And it is completely neutralized by using time acceleration.

I detailed the reproduction steps in the official bug report: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1324
I go to the link of the report, but saids: 404 NOT FOUND