TransX Pe for parking orbit

Orbi

Reaction score
So I am using transX 2 to fly to mars and I am currently in orbit around earth.
I just want to ask that what parking orbit should I be in for efficient transfer?
I saw on transx mentioning 'Pe D course 6.714M' but I doubt it tells me the parking orbit I should be in.
Thanks for your help.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
For a non-scientific answer, I guess any altitude wich keeps you safe from atmospheric drag is a good one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For a non-scientific answer, I guess any altitude wich keeps you safe from atmospheric drag is a good one.

Any orbit that keeps you from reentering as long as required is a good one. You can even have a suborbital parking orbit, though this is nothing for the weak. :lol:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
TLDR: anything between about 6.500M and 7.00M should work fine.

You generally want to be as low as possible, as long as you are not in contact with significant atmosphere. That's above about 120km altitude. (Earth's radius is 6.3781 Mm, so works out to Pe D about 6.50M). As you go higher, the transfer becomes less efficient and you need to burn progressively more fuel. Real spacecraft start a little higher, but any sort of low earth orbit is probably fine unless you have critical fuel shortage or are in a fuel savings competition or something.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd suggest a 200km x 200km orbit, to be well clear of short-term atmospheric drag, and efficient to hang there for an orbit or two before the trans martian injection burn.