PeA problems on planets with atmosphere

Jebusy

Reaction score
hey guys...okay following go play in space instructions on how to fly the DG to the moon.I takeoff head exactly east and pitch up at 30deg as instructed...i keep the Rinc to as low as possible on ascent...im told to pitch at 20deg to gain velocity and keet the indictor above zero and i do...the tutorial then says to cut main engines when ApA is above 300 and velocity is about 7500....this would be fine but it also says my PeA should be above 200..this is the part i have a problem at...my PeA is always negative and any attempts at trying to make it positive cause my velocity to increase considerably more than stated and my ApA to shoot up..oh yeah and my orbit gets really one sided as i stray further from the planet and after all that my PeA just slows down and stops while still negative:mad:

anyway does any1 kno where im going wrong? i hope i included enough info so you understand

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
hey guys...okay following go play in space instructions on how to fly the DG to the moon.I takeoff head exactly east and pitch up at 30deg as instructed...i keep the Rinc to as low as possible on ascent...im told to pitch at 20deg to gain velocity and keet the indictor above zero and i do...the tutorial then says to cut main engines when ApA is above 300 and velocity is about 7500....this would be fine but it also says my PeA should be above 200..this is the part i have a problem at...my PeA is always negative and any attempts at trying to make it positive cause my velocity to increase considerably more than stated and my ApA to shoot up..oh yeah and my orbit gets really one sided as i stray further from the planet and after all that my PeA just slows down and stops while still negative:mad:

anyway does any1 kno where im going wrong? i hope i included enough info so you understand
The problem that your seeing is that your adding vertical velocity when you need to be adding horizontal velocity. Reduce your pitch to zero as your ApA gets above 200km. Then after main engine cutoff, coast until you reach Apoapsis. Burn prograde as ApT apptroaches zero.
Check out pg 88 of the Orbiter manual as well.

Jebusy

Reaction score
thanks...just tried it there...it also solved other problems i was having like aligning properly with iss so thnx again