Phebus' Wheel Station

OHM Phebus' Wheel Station v1.0.0

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
29 downloads... did anybody try to dock and find the surprise?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's pretty slick.
I'm a bit out of practice, as it took me the whole orbit to coordinate matching rotation (manually). My first reaction was "WHAT just happened" and I switched to external view.
Pretty cool

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's pretty slick.
I'm a bit out of practice, as it took me the whole orbit to coordinate matching rotation (manually).
Although the docking is quiet tolerant (closing velocity can be up to 1m/s), a good technique is the standard procedure given in Orbiter's manual: 1) align at the entry of the corridor (x and + targets at center), 2) approach smoothly while keeping both targets (with RCS LIN, then Ctrl+Key), 3) sync rotation (peripheral triangle to the top and white), again correct with RCS ROT and Ctrl+4 or Ctrl+6... very gently! The rule is to dock at less than 0.1m/s but, as said, it is tolerant.

For really lazy pilots :) after launching from the given scenario, use the scenario editor and request docking to "Omega" (Phebus' Wheel), bringing YOU to Omega (not the opposite).

My first reaction was "WHAT just happened" and I switched to external view.
Pretty cool

tadaam... spoiler alert: something happens.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, no spoilers from me. ;)

Lining up with the station wasn't a problem, just matching rotation.. either too much or too little. I got it though :)

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, no spoilers from me. ;)
Thank you... but actually, maybe it would help .....

The rotating station is for fun! The concept goes back to von Braun's orbital station, 2001 Odyssey in Space and Orbiters Luna wheel.
Challenge: After you manage to dock, undock, stabilize, fly around the station and dock to the rear port. :)
Also, think Bigelow Inflatable, add docks everywhere (to park vessels and leave the station) and incoming dock in the center, with an animation to move the vessel from the center to the periphery.

Actually I requested a wheel station for some time (the existing one is too limited, hosting a maximum of 2 vessels, nose-to-nose), but nobody seemed interested :cry: so I did it by myself :cool: => already some cool anim and soon more features!

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Is very cool and works very well:)
Looks like it's gonna be one big party!
Are you working open source?
Something I always liked the idea of is 2+ people online piloting the same vessel, is/will it possible in Nex'Orbiter?

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Are you working open source?
OMX (the multi-player engine) is a fork of OMP in GPL v2. Hence, it will remain open-source, indeed.

Something I always liked the idea of is 2+ people online piloting the same vessel, is/will it possible in Nex'Orbiter?
Yes, it must be! In Nex'Orbiter, the wheel station is delivered and automatically assembled in LEO. If we want an outpost to rest at 1G before flying further, we need multiple pilots and a good coordination to bring the wheel station there, as part of the game-play. The (first) target is the Lunar orbit.