Phosphine detected in the atmosphere of Venus

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like there might be a bigger newsstory later today.

A livestream of the presentation will be available here, in one hour from now:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, so anaerob life is a possible source for such amounts of Phosphine. There is also another reaction possible, with sulfuric acid and Aluminum Phosphide, but then, an artificial anorganic substance has to exist on Venus.

The reactions that produce Phosphine on Jupiter are not possible, because Venus does not get hot enough.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is huge news. Skepticism is warranted, but it's probably the closest we've ever come to finding life out there in the universe beyond Earth. Surprised there's not more interest in it.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
At the very least, it should encourage more missions. Very exciting stuff.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
At the very least, it should encourage more missions. Very exciting stuff.
Definitely. However, unfortunately, a boring explanation is usually the correct explanation. Remember the star that was thought to be surrounded by a Dyson sphere and ended up just being dust? Before we get too excited, let's consider that the phosphine was most likely produced by non-biological means. Still, we should definitely send a :probe:there to find out.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Definitely. However, unfortunately, a boring explanation is usually the correct explanation. Remember the star that was thought to be surrounded by a Dyson sphere and ended up just being dust? Before we get too excited, let's consider that the phosphine was most likely produced by non-biological means. Still, we should definitely send a :probe:there to find out.

Oh I agreed wholeheartedly.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
This really gets me excited about the prospects of more science probes going to Venus. What would it take to get a sample of gas from the upper atmosphere of Venus? A low pass aerobraking pass of a sample return mission would be very fiery, I imagine. Dropping a buoyant probe into the clouds under a ballute/balloon with a big enough science package to make an unambigous determination of the presence of life would probably be harder than sending making an unambiguous determination of the presence of life on Mars.

cannon_gray

Reaction score
Previously, phosphine was found on other planets of the solar system - in particular, in the gas envelope of Saturn and the turbulent atmosphere of Jupiter. However, its production without the participation of living organisms requires a large amount of energy.