New Feature Photo Gallery: How to use it!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dear Members,

I have purchased and installed a new feature for the forum which I thought you all would enjoy and be able to use constructively for various projects and what not. It's a photo gallery which is completely integrated with the forum software. It happens to be the most feature rich, best performing, and most widely used gallery available today. It's the best way to offer members the ability to upload, show off, share, discuss, and rate photos right here on the site! As you know, the last major forum upgrade included a new member profile album feature, however the new gallery takes it a step further and really seems to be a popular tool on many forums.

Feature List:

• The gallery is basically like Photobucket for the forum with the ability to copy and share image URLs in posts and threads.
  • Members can upload photos to a category or to their own gallery
  • Members can upload up to 3 photos at a time.
  • Members can post comments on photos.
  • Members can rate photos on a scale of 1 to 10.
  • Members can create personal albums.
  • Search by keyword.
  • Members have full access to edit, move, or delete their own photos.
  • Members can choose to be notified of new posts to their photos or photos to which they want to subscribe (email notification).
  • Sort thumbnail display pages by alphabetical, most popular, most active, by date, and by number of views.
  • Member Galleries section displays disk space used by each user so they can keep track of their disk usage.
  • Private Personal Albums - Private Albums are assigned a unique URL which the person can share with friends and family for restricted access.
  • New Comments/Photos indicator - for members who are logged in, the arrow for comments and posts will glow when new items have been posted since last visit to the category.
  • View Recent Uploads - A link to show the posts in the past 1, 7 and 14 days.
  • View All Uploads - can be viewed and then sorted (for example to see the most popular uploads in all groups)
  • My Favorites - Members will have the ability to "tag" images for their own "My Favorites" feature. Viewing My Favorites shows the tagged images in a gallery format.

Getting Started:

First you'll need to visit the gallery by clicking HERE or locate links to the Photo Gallery in the top navbar and on the site footer quick links.

To upload photos, locate the 'UPLOAD' link on the top right side of the gallery...

gallery1.jpg

After you reach the upload script, make sure you choose the appropriate category for your photos...

gallery2.jpg

*If you have an idea for a new category, let me know! Also, if you're an addon developer and would like your own category under 'Orbiter Addons' and or 'Addon Development' to upload pictures of your project shoot me a PM.

After filling out the photo information submit your photos for upload. After you upload your photos, thumbnails will be automatically generated for the gallery. *If you uploaded more than 1 photo then you'll be redirected to a page where you can enter in specific titles and descriptions for each photo.

*If you would like to post photos from the gallery in a thread you can get the IMG code to do this under each photo, see screen shot below:

photo_url.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy this new feature, it took most of the day to get it all setup. :) If you encounter any issues please let me know. Thanks!

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Nicey done, Tex!

Just one question about the difference between edited and un-edited: If I have edited a screenie to remove the text in the corner (yes, I know, pressing I will remove it, but what if there wasn't time, or it was before I knew this?), does this count as editing the screenie?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi James!

Thanks mate. I wouldn't consider that edited. I meant when one uses photoshop to tweek the colors, add lens flare, etc. You know, how I do my screen shots. This way if we do a screen shot contest we can have one for both types since not everyone has the ability to edit photos.

Have fun!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com