Request Pilgrim Observer

Bendarr

Reaction score
Back in the 70's (Yeah, I'm showing my age here (chuckle)). I had a model kit of the Pilgrim Observer. It's basics are this.

Launch from the surface of the Earth using uprated Saturn V engines (3 of them). Once you are in orbit, you eject the aeroshroud, extend a NERVA drive engine on a boom, swing out 3 areas for gravity through centripetal rotation (living quarters, lab, general usage) and proceed to toodle around the solar system.

Here is a link to a site with some pics of the Model kit.

http://www.round2models.com/models/mpc/pilgrim-observer/mpc713-01

I think it could be done in Orbiter, and I would dearly love to see it happen, but I'll admit that I don't have the skills needed. Thus I prevail upon you people.

Hail :probe:!

Bendarr

Reaction score
ok, just did a bit of searching and I may have found some additional information that would allow this baby to be made for orbiter. In fact I think it might be an excellent project for it. The assembly plans, supplement book, decal set can be downloaded from http://www.ninfinger.org/models/kitplans/mpc9001.html I realize that asking for articulation would be very complicated. I guess my ideal would be a deployed (Nerva drive extended, arms swung out and ready to go around the solar system) configuration. Rotation would be nice but not needed. I've been wanting to fly this baby since I was a kid and had the Model kit. This would be a dream come true. Thanks for reading.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
It'd be a great project, a good modeling exercise.
I think rotation and articulation should be possible and practical.

One time-saver might be Hispaorbiter's Cosmos, which is a mesh of a plastic model that was kitbashed from Pilgrim Observer parts. As such, it could possibly be reverse-kitbashed back into a few Pilgrim Observer components, habs and reactor especially.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=686"]Cosmos v1[/ame]

orbiterguy

Reaction score
yer it would be brilliant project, i would love to make it but my moddeling skills are amateur so i might be a miss

Bendarr

Reaction score
My Modeling skills are ok at best, but I use a program that is rather proprietary (Bryce) and when you export from Bryce's format unfortunately Pieces vanish from what you're exporting. My programing skills date back to basic. So therefore I appeal to the orbiter community.

orbiterguy

Reaction score
I hope there i someone willing to model this. I bet it would go right to the top on orbit hanger mods these kind of models do lol:probe: