News Plan to revive 1970s UK satellite "Prospero"

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14783135

A group of scientists and engineers is working on an ambitious project to revive a unique UK satellite - still in orbit after almost 40 years.

When the Prospero spacecraft was launched atop a Black Arrow rocket on 28 October 1971, it marked the end of an era. A very short era.

Prospero was the first UK satellite to be launched on a UK launch vehicle; it would also be the last.

Ministers had cancelled the rocket project in the run up to the flight.

However, as the Black Arrow was ready, the programme team decided to go-ahead anyway. Prospero was blasted into orbit from the remote Woomera base in the Australian desert. It turns out, the satellite is still up there.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Our space program has been largely forgotten (anyone heard of Blue Streak?). It is good to see that we could have the UKSA back and planning missions.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yea, I heard of BLUE STREAK...

However, as the Black Arrow was ready, the programme team decided to go-ahead anyway. Prospero was blasted into orbit from the remote Woomera base in the Australian desert. It turns out, the satellite is still up there.

It turns out, its still up there, well fancy that.

Must be a Daily Mail bad science day, oh its the BBC freelance dept. I shouldn't really bite
should I?

N.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it is up there and will be there until 2100 or so. They don't make 'em like that anymore, no sir. Ol' solid British engineering, made with the finest teak... Er, tech. We blasted into orbit waist-deep in the snow uphill both ways and we LOVED it, dammit!

Cup of tea?

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
The UK did have a space program but it was shelved in 1972. The UK devised Blue Streak as a missile defence system, but it was never suitable, taking 30 minutes to prepare for launch, and inbound strike to the UK could take as little time as 4 minutes!

All rockets were launched from Australia as the UK was too small to accomodate rockets going astray.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Also, a mocking of the UKSA: :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it is up there and will be there until 2100 or so. They don't make 'em like that anymore, no sir. Ol' solid British engineering, made with the finest teak... Er, tech. We blasted into orbit waist-deep in the snow uphill both ways and we LOVED it, dammit!

Cup of tea?
Obviously no Teak anymore(we can't get the wood you know), though African Iron Wood is a good substitute? Not sure about that source, he is a bit sarcastic.
I could go on...

N.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I loved the Black Arrow and Black Knight projects and was genuinely disappointed when they were canceled. I think we'll be seeing more of a return to kerosene/H202 platforms, and hope that Prospero is a sign of this.