Hardware Planet Textures Storage

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So, I just recently set up a new RAID 0 array with two 4tb HDDs. Obviously I have plenty of free storage space! My question is this: The single SSD I have my orbiter installs on is pretty low on space, and I was considering moving the planet textures to my new RAID 0 array to save space on the SSD. What kind of a performance hit do you think this would cause?

clipper

Reaction score
I've had an SSD+HDD setup on my older gaming laptop and had multiple Orbiter installations on both - in my personal experience the difference was minimal to none; the only thing I noticed was an occasional momentary stutter near highly complex planetary elevation (like HRSC Mars for example) when at low altitude, and this was with all D3D9 surface settings maxed out.

I'd recommend giving it a shot and seeing for yourself how it works out - pretty much everything is fully portable anyway so it's hard to FUBAR something.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've had an SSD+HDD setup on my older gaming laptop and had multiple Orbiter installations on both - in my personal experience the difference was minimal to none; the only thing I noticed was an occasional momentary stutter near highly complex planetary elevation (like HRSC Mars for example) when at low altitude, and this was with all D3D9 surface settings maxed out.

I'd recommend giving it a shot and seeing for yourself how it works out - pretty much everything is fully portable anyway so it's hard to FUBAR something.
I can second this. Any modern SATA3 SSD will do for Orbiter. What takes the longest is the vessel initialization part, SSU more so due its complexity, right now the external aerodynamics files are the things that the longest to load. Any non-SSU scenario takes mere seconds(less than 5) to load.