Please help me get Nazis off YouTube

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi fellow Orbinauts

As some may know, I spend most of my free time on YouTube making videos, which cuts out the Orbiter time, but you can't have it all.

So now there's a new trend building on YouTube - extreme race hate propagated by neonazis from all over the world.

I won't post the hateful material here, or post links to them, because it's not the kind of thing we want to see fouling up the O-F. But anyone who wishes references only needs to PM me and I'll be happy to give you the list I've made so far.

YouTube has a stated policy that bans "hate speech", content that promotes hatred against members of a race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status and sexual orientation/gender identity.

Yet there are many hundreds of extremely obvious race-hate mongers (with names incorporating "Nazi", and channel logos including swastikas and SS logos) on YT which the company does nothing about, even when complaints have been made.

We're not talking about Hitler sympathisers, revisionist historians or even skinhead bands here. We're talking about the forceful and open propagation of racial hatred in today's society. Calling for genocide, the full bit.

Any of these will have friends/subscribers that lead to many many more. I estimate more than 500 such users.
I personally have complained to YT at least 9 times now over the course of the last month. I have neither received a reply nor seen any action taken against them.

This afternoon I've e-mailed a "press release" to all major world news networks, newspapers and prominent blogs I could thinik of.

Moreover I sent requests for the legal situation to be clarified to the Sheriff of San Bruno, where YT has its HQ, the California Dept of Justice, the US Dept of Justice, US Dept of State Special Envoy on Antisemitism, the European Commissioner on Internet and Technology, and the International Court of Human Rights.

I had already complained to the Anti-Defamation League in the US and the Anti-Nazi League in the UK. But they are absolutely useless.

So, that's where I am now. I've asked many other YouTube users, friends and subscribers, to make complaints.

Over the course of a month we have seen NOT ONE SINGLE CHANGE

Your ideas, ladies and gents?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it's like calling for "help". Doesn't work. You have to call "fire".
Same thing with teh interwebs. Don't talk "hate speech", talk "copyright infringement". That's the only way to have something taken down.
That said, I have no problems with people making fools of themselves. Let them rant on teh interwebs as much as they want, because the moment you get them offline they'll go "ZOMG! You see, they're conspiring to take us down! We were right!" and take their imbecile views out of cyberspace and into wetspace.
When that happens, usually teeth go flying.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't feed the trolls. A good many, if not most of the haters on Youtube are just trolls. As for the rest of them, well, Youtube is a well-known breeding ground for idiocy. There isn't much to be done about that, other than removing hateful comments from your videos and flagging nasty things you see. This is the price of being in a mostly-anonymous community.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do they upload videos with their views? I think that is a difference there ;)

Also, most of them are banned inside my country. While the USA permit Nazi ideology as part of free speech, it is a crime in Germany and thus, Youtube has to block them here.