Potential "Show Stopper" to future moon mission?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
"NASA's solution? Fake it."

ZOMG! Conspiracy! ;)

Seriously though, it has been a known problem since Apollo. I know the new lander plan has an airlock, which is supposed to help with decontamination etc. but it doesn't solve the problem of needing more for preperation and medical experiments etc. Although 500tons does sound a little OTT for a demand.

I'd be interested to know how regolith is charged, I'm guessing experiments have been done with static or whathaveyou to try and collect/decontaminate, but I've not seen anything regarding this.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Bump! Has anyone come up with any ideas for this problem, or is something that shouldn't even be looked at yet ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not gonna help in a vacuum.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe one way they could do it is with a type of "shower" system. First a rise of recycled water, vacuum/blow the water off the suit, filter, and reuse? This would certainly capture the dust particles. Same principle they use to take a shower on the ISS just a bit bigger and automated.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also need a way to keep it off the equipment. Astronauts have said it sticks to everything and is highly abrasive.

jwcornish

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A few of the concepts for dealing with lunar dust that I have read about.

1. Electrostatic/ionic removal. Basically an ion shower in the airlock to pick up the dust and deposit it on a charged grid

2. Magnetic brushes. A significant portion of regolith contains Iron, and can be picked up with a magnet. On concept I've seen is a brush with a magnetic strip on the back.

Imagineer

Reaction score
A few of the concepts for dealing with lunar dust that I have read about.

1. Electrostatic/ionic removal. Basically an ion shower in the airlock to pick up the dust and deposit it on a charged grid

2. Magnetic brushes. A significant portion of regolith contains Iron, and can be picked up with a magnet. On concept I've seen is a brush with a magnetic strip on the back.

Just collect it with duct tape. The most useful stuff on or off the planet. ;)

Hartmann

Reaction score
Use a airlock with a descontamination system could be ok but it´s better have the suits outside of the craft or base and enter using a small hatch on the back.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Use a airlock with a descontamination system could be ok but it´s better have the suits outside of the craft or base and enter using a small hatch on the back.

Right, that's obviously the best solution, but why bother considering problems we won't face for 20 years....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10308870-239.html

Thanks to all you ding dongs who voted for Obama... I warned you all back then (all while reading all the glowing posts about the 'anointed one'). Now, what's taking forever to get done as it is will take longer, if ever. Obama and his goons are too busy raping the treasury and socializing the country to spend money on something worthwhile.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
@SpaceNut, you will find those budgets where set whilst Bush was in power and they have been below ESAS targets since something like 2005. Also, this: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=31580

Finally, I find no evidence that McCain would have funded Constellation any more than anyone else (at least it is not prominent).

SpaceNut

Reaction score
@SpaceNut, you will find those budgets where set whilst Bush was in power and they have been below ESAS targets since something like 2005. Also, this: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=31580

Finally, I find no evidence that McCain would have funded Constellation any more than anyone else (at least it is not prominent).

True, but McCain wouldn't have defunded it (as Obama is planning to do).