Project Project VENEVSYS

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
As I was driving around town today, pondering about planning a Venusian station, I realized I wanted to do some EVA on the planetary surface. However, me being the stubborn total immersionist I am. I did not want to use the basic UMMU suit, as I feel it wouldn't be about to take 92 ATMs of pressure. I felt the DG could do it, but as I thought and pondered while stuck in traffic, I developed the starting groundwork for my very first addon. I digress, let's get down to the point.

Project VENEVSYS (VEnusian Extra-Vehicular SYStem) is my attempt to create a near-tech looking EVA suit that would be able to function on the high pressure Venusian surface.

Being totally aware that UMMU changes are cosmetic, I did make some fictional specs for it, here is a very, very poor doodle I made in 2 minutes.

attachment.php

The look is based on the modern [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_diving_suit"]ADS[/ame] combined with the old look of the bug eye suits from the Bioshock games. The numbers are explained below:

1. Helmet-segment. To avoid using glass, which would shatter, obviously, these "bug-eyes" would instead house RADAR systems that would scan bi-laterally the area ahead of the astronaut, and then paint an image on the inside of the helmet using an LED screen.

2. Armored segments of heavy metal (TBD) housing both the astronaut's arm and components for the powered exoskeleton which will enable movement in the high pressure.

3. Manipulators. Astronauts hands are housed in armored section anterior to the manipulators. By pulling levers hooked around their fingers, the astronaut can manipulate these totally robotic 5-digit hands. Also allows for swapping of hands for tools.

4. Housing for internal computer devoted to managing RADAR and projection system. Also handles user interface. Since it is in the place of the typical control panel for the suit, all actions are handled via voice commands, which this computer handles as well.

5. Housing for exoskeleton joints. Protects from pressure and debris.

6.Housing for exoskeleton joints. Protects from pressure and debris.

7. Pelvic armor. Exposed section protected by lamellar armor segments.

8. Foot armor. Jointed at balls of feet for flexibility.

9. Main housing. In lieu of MMU system, contains main computer for mechanical systems, batteries, life support, and comms.

On top of this, I would like to gain permission from DanSteph to armor the DG-IV similarly. But that's another day.

I'll keep this updated as progress comes along.

Attachments

• suit concept.png
    suit concept.png
    21 KB · Views: 134

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Once I design this suit, hopefully. I'll probably seal up the windows and deck it out with a bit more heavy plating.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Quite some time ago I got to watch a group of NAVY divers do some deep (really deep) dives. Anybody who wasn't part of their group had to keep their distance, but it was still very interesting. The suit very much resembled a spacesuit (or maybe even Hollywood).

This suit here isn't it... Maybe I saw a prototype or something... Anyway, perhaps it'll be of some use for ideas?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Diving_Suit_2000_of_Navy_Diver_2nd_Class.jpg