Reaction score
Well folks, finally something new in the Alien franchise --

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good, you get your money's worth from Ridley Scott. He's come a long way since this:

N.

orbekler

Reaction score
Rumors said that actually the original xenomorph Alien is not much involved in this "spacejockeys / ancient aliens / engineers" story.
In any case, I won't miss it.

Guess why...;)

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good, you get your money's worth from Ridley Scott. He's come a long way since this:

CDP Classics ads - Hovis (1974 - 1979) - YouTube

Wow! There's a mind blowing coincident. :blink:

I'd never heard of the Hovis ad until this sunday morning. One of my presents was a jigsaw puzzle, and just for fun I looked up where the landmark was. The only description on the box was "Gold Hill, England".

Golden_Hill_England_jigsaw.jpg

PS: Any ALIEN prequel is a must-see. :cheers:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
I might be motivated to see this in the cinema next year (I didn't go at all this year). I love space horror movies!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always thought that the Alien universe is big enough for stories that don't involve the first movie's namesake (the Geiger Xenomorph Alien). The Space Jockey's skeletized remains are seen in the first film for only a few minutes and after the Nostromo's crew evacuates Kane he (she, it) is never montioned again.

On top of that, remember that the Space Jockey and his vessel are also H.R. Geiger creations

There is a very rich back story to be told about that alien and his derelict ship, and if Scott is revisiting it, count me in.

orbekler

Reaction score
...The Space Jockey's skeletized remains are seen in the first film for only a few minutes and after the Nostromo's crew evacuates Kane he (she, it) is never montioned again...

This is something that puzzled me since I saw Scott's Alien in 1979.
Why on the Earth (or Acheron :lol:) that huge discovery of alien life and (presumably) much higher degree of technology was left unexplained?

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
This is something that puzzled me since I saw Scott's Alien in 1979.
Why on the Earth (or Acheron :lol:) that huge discovery of alien life and (presumably) much higher degree of technology was left unexplained?

I always assumed it meant the world of Alien was a world in which the discovery of alien life and technology was already unsurprising. This is confirmed by the new trailer where they discuss the re-occurrence of the pictogram across multiple alien archaeologies.

Just a personal note; the aesthetic of Alien was an influence on my early interest in sci-fi. I was a small child in the early 1980s and one of my much older siblings had the novelisation of the film. I was too young to read it but I vividly recall that the centre-spread of photos from the film fascinated me – especially the appearance of the spacejockey ship in its murky surrounds.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rumor control says Giger himself is once again involved in the designs of this film. Cannot wait!

space_jockey.jpg

Ark

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a must-see for this year.

Last year was pretty lackluster for movies, Drive was honestly my favorite thing I went and saw. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2011 had almost no proper sci-fi movies.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Drive was a really good film, a throwback to 70s "acid westerns".

As far as SF films, even when you do get them like 80% of them suck. The golden age of SF films IMO started with 2001 in 1967 and faded around the early 90s or so, with a few outliers making it here and there, such as Moon. Like good westerns, they are few and far between. And every time I hear another moron tell me how great Armageddon was, I understand why most movies, especially SF movies, suck so bad.

Hopefully Prometheus will buck the trend.

Ragtag

Reaction score
And every time I hear another moron tell me how great Armageddon was, I understand why most movies, especially SF movies, suck so bad.
Hey, Armageddon was a great flick. How much more realistic can you get than mini-guns being carried by shuttles. Also lets not forget that ultra realistic docking sequence and the dead on accurate artificial gravity with the rotating space station. I think I'll watch it tonight just to revel in it unique accuracy and edge of the seat drama.

Nobody has commented on how much more high tech the prequel to Alien looks. Will it fail for that reason alone? My son thinks it's a no go just for that reason. They show technology far in advance of tech shown years in the future. The spacesuits also look way more advanced then the ones seen in Alien.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Nobody has commented on how much more high tech the prequel to Alien looks. Will it fail for that reason alone? My son thinks it's a no go just for that reason. They show technology far in advance of tech shown years in the future. The spacesuits also look way more advanced then the ones seen in Alien.

It's one of the things we pretend not to notice. Back in 1979 the Nostromo was high-tech looking, now it would look like a retrotech museum. The Sulaco which was supposed to sport tech from half a century later had stuff that looked high-tech in 1986. Technology marches on, and zeerust would be distracting.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Its the same thing with the modern star-trek film. The bridge of this enterprise looks vastly more 'High-Tec' than the bridge in the original series.