OHM Proton (added to a family of Vostok, Soyuz, First in Space, R-9 Russian addons)

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
As OrbitHandar does not auto-report new or modified addons now, here is the explicit announcement.

A heavily reworked Proton (yes, Thorton's one) is added to both Orb2010 VesselM Pack and Orb2016 VesselM Pack - growing addon collections of historical and modern Russian vessels. Along with Proton, a few previous addons there were updated, so, when downloading, refresh them as well if you have previous versions:
  • - Historical Spaceports (to include Proton launchpads);
  • - Collectors Addition (to include Proton's ground static exhibition);
  • - Orbiter 2016 Improvements Patch (this one is obviously only for Orbiter 2016, to to include Proton launchpads textures).
New Proton joins the recently reworked Vostok and also benefits from all VesselM features universal for the whole family. It uses same beautiful meshes by Thorton and Istochnikov (for payload satellites). But but while "look" may seem the same, "feel" should now - hopefully - be much more rewarding. All supplied missions now come with fully automated programamble autopilots - all the way to GEO!

A real bonus is a detailed description on how to customize missions and make your own - illustrated with nothing less than a Soyuz TMA sent on Proton around the Moon and back into the Indian Ocean (in place of Zond-8, still missing from Orbiter).

And... though I am still overcoming the stubborn difficulties of Orbiter-2016, the new Proton and Vostok addons work just fine with it now (and even look not too terrible - as long as DxD9 client is configured according to instructions).

Enjoy!

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
At some point (probably sooner rather than later) I am planning to add early Soyuz 7K-OK to the current Soyuz code. Once that is done, adding Zond 7K-L1 will be piece of cake - Zond is pretty much a "subset" of early Soyuz.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Having a problem with your proton launchers. apparently the third stage isn't giving enough thrust to achieve orbit and just keep reentering earth. this occurs with multiple scenarios which includes the GEO launches which is when I first noticed the problems.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Hard to tell... Can you give some more details:
  • is it in Orbiter 2010 or 2016?
  • particular scenario where it happens (just one will be enough)
  • does 3rd stage reenter while still burning? Or does payload reenter later, before reaching its orbital burn point?

Once I have this, I'll test it on my two machines to see if I can recreate it, or if not, to see what the "expected behaviour" is. I've tested it all, of course, before... but sometimes some types of trajectories turn out to be more sensitive than others to even small differences of simulation performance (frame rate and frame length stability), which are different of course on different machines.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I should have been more precise. its the 2016 version of orbiter, and it happens with the Sirius scenario but also happens with multiple scenarios that have to do with the third stage. And yes it does still burn while reentering the atmosphere.

Last edited:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
OK, I think I have it too in 2016 - in case you've meant "Briz M" (which is technically 4th stage) when saying "3rd stage". In my case, 3rd stage separates OK, but trajectory is lower by a few dozens km than it should be, and velocity vector points below horizon. Then Briz M does not stand a chance indeed.

The reason is also clear. Trajectory (controlled solely by pitch program) was designed in Orbiter 2010. There are always small differences in flying behaviour between the two Orbiter versions, but until Proton I did not see differences that big and notable. This type of trajectory is indeed super-sensitive, Proton is stretched to this limit in these launches.

Not sure what can be done right now about it... These addons become better and better suited for Orbiter 2016 with each iteration - 80%, 85%, 90% of 2010 functionality - but reaching full100% (and ditching 2010 completely) is still no closer in sight than the pandemic end :-(. Having different pitch programs for 2010 and 2016 releases will be a logistics nightmare. Changing trajectory control from "primitive but realistic" pitch program to "smart corridor" will solve the problem (already had to do this for Luna-9 landing) but won't be authentic...

Anyway, whatever solution comes in the future missions, for now it does not seem possible to fly such scenarios in 2016 "end to end". Addon has many intermediate scenarios saved in multiple midway points, so it is at least possible to run the flight in stages.

Thanks for reporting! I'll put this into my "bug tracking" and see what I can do about it.