LaunchMFD Quick question regarding "LaunchMFD-Probe" and TransX...

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hey all,

I noted that when you put in a Inclination and LAN of a target orbit into LaunchMFD, which is what TransX gives you, it creates a dummy vessel called LaunchMFD-Probe and targets it. Am I right in assuming that this vessel has the orbit that I want to have when I make my TransX ejection burn, and if I launch to it and match it's velocity, then so shall I, hence being able to execute a rather spot-on ejection burn? Or have I missed the purpose of this vessel completley?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Hey all,

I noted that when you put in a Inclination and LAN of a target orbit into LaunchMFD, which is what TransX gives you, it creates a dummy vessel called LaunchMFD-Probe and targets it. Am I right in assuming that this vessel has the orbit that I want to have when I make my TransX ejection burn, and if I launch to it and match it's velocity, then so shall I, hence being able to execute a rather spot-on ejection burn? Or have I missed the purpose of this vessel completley?
The probe is there to get you to the correctly oriented orbit (inclination and LAN). Matching its velocity isn't that important as TransX will allow you to change the altitude that you perform the ejection burn at. The probe is used by LaunchMFD to guide you into the correct orbit so that you don't have to perform a plane alignment burn in your parking orbit - at MECO you should have a relative inc of 0° with the TransX plan.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Whoa, thanks for the speedy reply, agentgonzo. Thanks, that's great. Pretty nifty idea, to use a dummy vessel, as it can also be targeted easily by other MFDs.

*gives kudos*