O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Greetings all.

We would like to ask everyone to please avoid quoting posts that contain images. You may quote any text from the post, but make sure you delete the image from the quote or else the same image is displayed a number of times in the thread. We're not enforcing this as a rule, but we would greatly appreciate your help with this.

Thank you,
O-F Staff

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Quotes in quotes are filtered, so there should be a way to filter also [img] code. Maybe there's already a vBulletin addon made for it, and if not, it can be written.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a way, but a hack would have to be written, if it's not already written on vBulletin.org

However, such a hack would delete any images from a possible news article quote as well.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
There is a way to do it automatically, but I don't want it totally prevented. I am more referring to the instances when you're reading a thread and multiple people quote the same post with the same image back to back. It's just an over kill, so if you could try and avoid that in most cases it would be great. Sorry, I should have stated that in my original post. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Tex: Would it be at least possible to include the images in the quotes in a smaller scale?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Would it not be possible to display a link to the image, instead of embedding the image in the quote?

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The modification we're using to resize the images in posts is pretty complex. Perhaps we could make it work for quotes as well or maybe have the link displayed instead of the picture in quotes. It is something we will consider, but for the time being try not to include images in a quoted post when possible. It's not so bad if the image was posted on another page in the thread. As I say it's a bit much when multiple people have quoted the same post/image back to back on the same page of a thread.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Does it also apply to quoting posts containing smileys?

Not at all. I am referring to large images and when multiple people quote the same post/image on the same page of a thread. As a rule of thumb when you're reading a thread, let's say someone posted an image and you want to reply to their post. You can hit the quote button as usual, just remove the large image from the quote. If however their post was a few pages back in the thread then it wouldn't be a big deal to quote the image.

Again, this is not a rule. It's just an effort to make threads a bit more readable when you have several people quoting the same post with the same image back to back. We currently have an active admin project in development which we hope to automate this to some degree - be it a thumbnail of the image when quoted or a link to the image in the quote instead of displaying the full size image each time.