Gaming RE-ENTRY spaceflight simulator

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Seems that Project Mercury is really popular with the indie developers.

Apollon

Reaction score
Tried it a while back and at least at the time, it felt more like a VR experience showcasing the visuals and the atmosphere (no pun intended) than a genuine systems and/or orbital mechanics simulator.

But then again that's probably what the developer aimed for (unless it underwent changes since I tried it out).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tried it a while back and at least at the time, it felt more like a VR experience showcasing the visuals and the atmosphere (no pun intended) than a genuine systems and/or orbital mechanics simulator.
Are you thinking of Go For Launch: Mercury ? It doesn't look like RE-ENTRY supports VR...

Apollon

Reaction score
Are you thinking of Go For Launch: Mercury ? It doesn't look like RE-ENTRY supports VR...

What I really meant by VR is that it tends to give the player primarily the visual experience and focuses more on the non-interactive aspect. Didn't mean VR literally so apologies for the confusion.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What I really meant by VR is that it tends to give the player primarily the visual experience and focuses more on the non-interactive aspect. Didn't mean VR literally so apologies for the confusion.
It's fine, you just got my hopes up :)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There are some big negative points for me:
- Awkward interface. Have no clue what keys to press, and F1 doesn't display them. Hard to move in the cockpit using keys only...
- Models have completely wrong materials. Shiny metal for the Gemini capsule, scratched metal for plastic parts, etc.
- Basic and ugly pad models.

Positive:
- Powering up a Gemini is fun :thumbup:
- Detailed working VC models

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
I was shocked - Win10 as a requirement. Sorry, but that's too much.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was shocked - Win10 as a requirement. Sorry, but that's too much.
It's delivered through the Windows Store, and Windows 10 was a free upgrade, so why is that too much?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's delivered through the Windows Store, and Windows 10 was a free upgrade, so why is that too much?

And its the current version of the software. Main-stream support for Windows 8.1 ended just a few days ago.

Apollon

Reaction score

You've just opened Pandora's box. :lol:

On a serious note though, usage of genuine Windows 7 will rapidly drop now IMHO due to what Microsoft has officially called an immense slowdown of older OS following the release of patches after the recent revelations regarding CPU.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Nothing new there. They always did this on older machines.

I have an old XP laptop (with no network access):
Windows defender on - can't run anything, hangs and crashes
Windows defender off - runs as new

So disable whatever update is slowing it down.

Apollon

Reaction score
Nothing new there. They always did this on older machines.

I have an old XP laptop (with no network access):
Windows defender on - can't run anything, hangs and crashes
Windows defender off - runs as new

So disable whatever update is slowing it down.

Ironically the most effective solution is probably to just have a pirated copy which is incapable of receiving updates cause back in the days of XP and 7, you only had to activate once since updates were purely optional. Ever since 10 though, where you can only postpone but not avoid an update, pirated copies are forced to be reactivated again and again using a background activator that runs every now and then.

Not that I'd know anything 'bout that from personal experience of course. :lol:

Marg

Reaction score
On youtube, author of the program replied that he intends to release win32.exe as well for older Windows versions... when someone remarked "that damned win10..." he-he

petriw

Reaction score
Hi all, this is the developer of Reentry.
First of all, thanks for the interest, and thanks for the feedback! I just wanted to answer some of the questions asked here, and also, feel free to ask me anything.

First of all, this project is quite different than Orbiter and is not meant to compete against Orbiter in any way, however the orbital mechanics and the systems inside each of the spacecrafts (Mercury, Gemini and Apollo) is physics and simulation based. Some systems more accurate than others. So this is not just an experience based product, it's an open world simulation where every force you apply changes your direction (even venting). Also, the state of the cockpit is live, meaning if you shut down something or make changes, those changes will be immediate.

It is true that some of the materials in the cockpit is wrong. This is because I have not yet had time to work too much on the visuals, yet. But as I progress with this project, things will get more complete. I'm making almost everything myself, so some things might take more time than others.

The goal of the project is to have a place for you to enjoy the old spaceships by NASA with as many details as possible, where you fly the missions. It will not trace what happened in history on the centimeter, but you are given some of the same goals and targets, and must try to complete the missions yourself.

I do have a VR build, and it will hopefully support VR if I can get everything to run smoothly.

I understand that the controls are cumbersome, so I will see what I can do to change them. :)

When it comes to the OS version, my goal was always to release this on Steam, but using Windows Store for the Technical Previews. I'm currently in the process of setting up a Steam Store page, and open up for Early Access there.

Thanks again for the feedback!