General Question Realtime telemetry for Orbiter ?

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'd like to know, is there a 3rd party software or a module for Orbiter that can extract/show flight datas.

Here's the idea, since I'm streaming flightsims I always set an overlay for my viewers to show relevant informations so they can read what's my speed, what's my altitude, heading and such, and I put them in an overlay like this:
Here's an example I used for my flightsim streams:
MYpMEjp.png

Now I'd like to do the same for Orbiter so I can have things like "PeA/PeR, ApA/ApR, Vel, etc", but also the throttle percentage, g-meter, mach-speed etc so when I stream can put them like this:
BTSafSW.png

Thanks in advance and fly safe o7

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
I think I got something, I've also discussed this on the french forum and a guy told me I could use flightdata.log generated by Orbiter.
It's a good start.
I got this result with OBS:

But as you can see, when the log file is refreshed OBS reads it again and a freeze occurs each time OBS read it again :/
Plus the datas store in the log file are in column, with means when OBS reads it, it's only check for the XYZ position of the text, when the text moves away, everything in OBS is mixed.

Does anyone have an alternative way to get the telemetry in Orbiter

Also FlightData.log only provides MET, Altitude, Airspeed, AoA, Mach, Mass, etc all in metric units. Would be nice to have the possibility to show more and switch to imperial units and others at will.

Ashaman42

Reaction score
I have been writing a extended flight data recorder in Lua as a work project. I'll post more later but it records more parameters than the built in fdr and saves to a timestamped csv file and does show various data onscreen.

The onscreen data is just there for debugging purposes but could be neatened up if required to be kept.

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Nice ! I'll be patient and wait for a release :yes:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The mechanism to do this is native to the vessel designer (who decides how to render a cockpit view for example). It's also available to the MFD designer via Enjo's excellent HUDdrawerSDK. For example see Enjo's graphics in LaunchMFD, or mine in RV Orientation. I normally just write lines, arcs, or text to the screen but I don't expect any issues preventing you to write a telemetry strip like that. You just need to design the MFD and how you want it to work, then code it up!

barrygolden

Reaction score
Years ago during the last Shuttle flights there was a guy doing real time scenarios and they were awesome. you could track the ISS and Shuttle and use that for fly over viewing. We need that again