garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A Red Arrow aeroplane has crashed in Dorset following a display at the Bournemouth Air Festival.

The fire service confirmed they were called to an air crash at 13:50 BST near Bournemouth International Airport.

A BBC producer at the scene said he saw only eight of the nine Red Arrows RAF display team's aircraft land on the runway at the annual event.
They had earlier taken part in a display over the seafront. No details are known about possible casualties.

BBC South Today producer Martin Webster said the plane was thought to have crashed in an open area at Throop village, near the Castlepoint shopping centre.

Shaun Spencer-Perkins, who witnessed the crash from Throop Mill, said: "I heard a rushing sound and I saw a plane about 15m above the ground racing across the fields.

"It impacted and bounced across the field, made it across the river.
"Members of the public jumped into the water to search for the cockpit.

Source & more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14602900

On a personal note I've been to that air festival but it was many years ago. Even so I feel a connection to this crash and hope that the pilot got out safely.
Back in 1987/1988 the red arrows had a very bad time and I hope this isn't the staff of another run of bad luck for them.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
****. I was thinking of heading down there tomorrow with family. Hope the pilot is ok. From the sounds of the above he didn't eject

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sadly it wasn't a landing despite what the article says:

_54716317_redarrows_crashsite.jpg

No parachute was seen so I think we might be looking at a fatality. I hope not and only time will tell.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Confirmed: Red Arrows pilot killed in crash

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said they were investigating the incident.

The crash site remains cordoned off by police and only people living inside the zone are being allowed access.

The Military Air Accident Investigation Branch were also admitted through the cordon to start work on identifying the cause of the crash.

the AAIB will get to the root cause. I feel for the pilots family and squadran mates.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
A sad day indeed. Just because the fatality didn't occur in a war-zone, it doesn't mean that it's any less of a sacrifice by the pilot. My heart goes out to the families & friends affected.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Very sad.

There has been a spate of aircraft crashes. We have had 3 in the last week (7 dead).

My condolences to his family.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
though it was a heroic way to die:
he spent his last moments steering the hawk away from the built up area, at the end of the turn, he was too low to eject, so he died to prevent his accident (if you can call it that) from killing anyone else.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
though it was a heroic way to die:
he spent his last moments steering the hawk away from the built up area, at the end of the turn, he was too low to eject, so he died to prevent his accident (if you can call it that) from killing anyone else.
"Too low to eject"--are these planes not equipped with modern zero-zero ejection seats?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
"Too low to eject"--are these planes not equipped with modern zero-zero ejection seats?

They are but it takes time to go from hands on controls to eject handle, pull then for it to fire and propel you clear. If Lt. Egging had controlability issues he may well have stayed with hands on controls for too long before attempting to eject or he may have decided to not eject.

Personally I think he was reaching for the ejection handles when he ran out of time.

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Well, the statement should probably be "too low and too fast for a successful ejection".

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Modern zero-zero ejection seats still have a safe ejection envelope, it may be able to eject a zero speed and zero altitude, but 300 mph at 500ft and descending may be out side of it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Memorial planned for Red Arrows Pilot

A permanent memorial is to be created in Bournemouth for a Red Arrows pilot who died after an airshow display.

Flt Lt Jon Egging, 33, from Rutland, died when his Hawk T1 aircraft crashed into a field at the village of Throop, near Bournemouth Airport, on 20 August.

Council leader Peter Charon said he had met Flt Lt Egging's wife Emma, mother and close friend to discuss the plans.

He said the memorial would be created at East Cliff and there were also plans for an annual charity gala.

The design of the memorial will be decided by Flt Lt Egging's family and the council is planning to have it in place by next year's air festival.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-15012137