Red-/Blackouts

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Say, as noone ever made an addon to simulate blackouts and redouts?
I miss that somehow...

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I was playing Combat Flight Simulator 3 and when you acsess to many Gs, the screen slowly turns black to simulate that. When you acess to many negative Gs, the screen turns slowly red to simulate that affect. I think that somebody can use the concept of that to make it. UMMU would be it's main concept. Say, in re-entry, the pilot blacksout. When you are in the helmet view, it can do the same thing as Combat Flight Simulator 3.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
YSFlight also simulates red/blackouts, it also displays a G-Force readout

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well yeah, that's exactly what I meant. allmost every flight simulator does it. based on the replies I take it has not yet been done for Orbiter...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
A couple of problems that would need to be solved if you were going to do this in Orbiter:

1. How do you know if a vessel is manned or not? Orbiter makes no distinction between manned and unmanned vessels. I would not want my unmanned Mars probe to blackout during a high-G aerobraking manoeuvre!

2. What assumptions do you make about the orientation of an astronaut in a spacecraft? It is fair to assume in an aircraft that an pilot/passenger will have their head facing the top of an aircraft. In Orbiter, most craft have "heads-up" parallel to the +Z axis but it is not necessary.

These could probably be dealt with as extensions to UMMU.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The orbiter damage module I am currently working on really just tries to simulate the structural limits of spacecraft, however I could probably extend it to simulate that as well, the biggest problem would be the graphics...A dark or red mesh on the cockpit screen?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
And then it would have to go back to regular after that. What a pain....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2. What assumptions do you make about the orientation of an astronaut in a spacecraft? It is fair to assume in an aircraft that an pilot/passenger will have their head facing the top of an aircraft. In Orbiter, most craft have "heads-up" parallel to the +Z axis but it is not necessary.
That information could be taken from camera position and facing. the other one's a good point... I guess we'd have to introduce a flag of some sort...

@Computerex: Is it absolutely impossible to edit the chanel data of the backbuffer before the picture gets thrown on the screen?? after all, the gamma settings have to be aplied somewhere, and it's basically the same, just that we want to pass diferent values for different RGB-Channels.

Maybe I'm not making much sense... It's some years ago since I did graphics, and a darn lot has changed since then...

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
@Computerex: Is it absolutely impossible to edit the chanel data of the backbuffer before the picture gets thrown on the screen?? after all, the gamma settings have to be aplied somewhere, and it's basically the same, just that we want to pass diferent values for different RGB-Channels.

Maybe I'm not making much sense... It's some years ago since I did graphics, and a darn lot has changed since then...

You should be able to set the to do this. The SetGammaRamp is a part of Direct3d7 in the IDirectDrawGammaControl class. If you can get access to the IDirectDraw object that orbiter uses then it should be possbile

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ya, Orbiter's API pertaining to the actual rendering engine is quite limited, I guess this should be doable quite easily in the OVP clients. But as of right now, we really have nothing but hacks. I think Vanguard, the author of CameraMFD may have found a way to access the Orbiter DirectX7 instance.