Question Redshift for Delta Glider IV

Genesis27

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew whether Redshift works with Delta Glider IV...I know it works with the old original DG....but when I try to initiate Redshift in the middle of a DGIV scenario...Orbiter just crashes...any ideas anyone ?...do I need to edit something or change something anywhere? Thanks

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Redshift is an outdated addon.

What are you trying to do with it?

Genesis27

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for your reply...and I appreciate you asking...I was just wondering how easy it was to get to the Moon from the ISS...I'm just playing around with Orbiter and trying different things....I'm relatively happy now docking with the ISS...I now want to try flying to the Moon from the ISS, and was wondering if Redshift was the best thing to use....I've heard others mention IMFD or TransX but it totally loses me......is there an easy way of getting to the Moon?..Also, I haven't tried re-entry and landing yet, so thought Redshift might help with that...but again, others have suggest BasesyncMFD or Aerobrake...just need someone to go through these things with me...maybe like on a one to one....haven't really come across a tutorial which is self explanatory......by the way, Gary I'm in London, so glad to come across someone "local"...thanks again mate for your help...Trevor

Genesis27

Reaction score
Would this work do you think, from ISS to the Moon?...as it mentions that it "In the current version, operation is limited in Apollo style flights from the Earth's surface to lunar surface and back. Missions starting from unaligned orbits are not yet supported and many other advanced features are still under work"....does this mean that I could still use it from the ISS ?...sorry to sound a bit of a numpty ... :)

Ark

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure Interplanetary MFD can do off-plane transfers. Otherwise, you could always just undock, align planes with the moon, and then use Lunar Transfer.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for your reply...and I appreciate you asking...I was just wondering how easy it was to get to the Moon from the ISS...I'm just playing around with Orbiter and trying different things....I'm relatively happy now docking with the ISS...I now want to try flying to the Moon from the ISS, and was wondering if Redshift was the best thing to use....I've heard others mention IMFD or TransX but it totally loses me......is there an easy way of getting to the Moon?..Also, I haven't tried re-entry and landing yet, so thought Redshift might help with that...but again, others have suggest BasesyncMFD or Aerobrake...just need someone to go through these things with me...maybe like on a one to one....haven't really come across a tutorial which is self explanatory......by the way, Gary I'm in London, so glad to come across someone "local"...thanks again mate for your help...Trevor
Just one thing about getting to the moon from ISS, it's going to take quite a bit of fuel, since you have to do a 70-something-degree alignment burn. Shoudn't be too much of an obstacle in the DG-II, but don't try it in a fully loaded Shuttle-A...trust me.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
IMFD will allow off plane transfers but it can take quite a bit of setting up for someone new. I'll see if I can dig out the process I use for it when I'm at home

Genesis27

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I appreciate all your comments...and I'll try Lunar Transfer and also IMFD...see if I can get the hang of it....
By the way, when doing a reentry to KSC, am I correct in saying that I should start to descend to about 150km when over KSC,...then just off the west coast of Australia, start to come in at about 40 degrees AOA...I've been told this will get me to land right on KSC...

Ark

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I appreciate all your comments...and I'll try Lunar Transfer and also IMFD...see if I can get the hang of it....
By the way, when doing a reentry to KSC, am I correct in saying that I should start to descend to about 150km when over KSC,...then just off the west coast of Australia, start to come in at about 40 degrees AOA...I've been told this will get me to land right on KSC...

Basesync + Aerobrake MFD are your friends.

Genesis27

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help...I have tried using Basesync...and use it to try to align myself with Cape Canaveral....when I get to about the 3rd or 4th orbit away, I do a antinormal/normal burn when I cross the grey line until the "Dist" line/display gets my distance close to zero.....So I am happy that my final orbit will pass nearly directly over the base....
Now when I click on the DEO button, and get deorbit mode, I input my reentry angel, anticipation, and altitude...now the MFD shows a white line, yellow line and green line....I understand that the white line has something to do with the burn and "BT"...but not sure what....I notice the white line is in front of the green line and is moving away....how does it help, and in what way??...
Also, can anyone tell me when to burn retro...some tutorials say 17.20M (near Australia), but when I do, I always end up landing in the sea well short of the US....also, if I burn directly over Cape Canaveral, surely that would take me well pass my landing site.....sorry to be a pain, but any help will do....thanks

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Aerobrake can help you with a deorbit burn. Get a nice circular orbit around 350km, base aligned. When the distance between you and your target base starts to fall (around 19M) aerobrake will give you an estimated path as you begin to burn retrograde. When you get a close path, realign your orbital path to sync with the base. When you drop near 200km, pitch up to 40 and when you cross 200 Aerobrake will begin to project your trajectory through the atmosphere. While pitched up to 40, use small thrust impulses to get the distance around 60km before the base. Then it's just a matter of adjusting your AoA to keep your profile good. When distance is 100km and falling enter the traffic pattern to land (I usually intercept the pattern on the base leg with a turn towards final, but sometimes I have to intercept on the crosswind leg if I have too much altitude).