Retirement of the Base.cfg file that is used for none MESH textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I propose that for the new OpenOrbiter, that the Base.cfg file is retired. This file dates way back to one of the most earliest builds of Orbiter and is used to load textures used by the various base elements such as HANGAR and TANK. I propose that it be replaced with direct loading of the textures like they are for MESHes that define OWNMATERIAL. This will eliminate one potentially troublesome conflict point when installing add-ons that rely on Base.cfg editing.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Any changes which eliminate additional installation instructions for add-ons would be good. But bear in mind base.cfg editing is required for handling night textures which OWNMATERIAL can not at present.

I wonder if D3D9 could handle texture_n.dds, just like texture_norm.dds etc? I'll raise it.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can we make this a thread for discussing probable upgrades and new feature requests to OpenOrbiter Base definition standards?

Like, a potential BaseV3.0 which supersedes orbiter's existing BaseV2.0, and can take advantage of lua scripting for making dynamic active, user interactable bases like Face's Ascension Ultra, but with native support in the Orbiter Core, and also support for terrain features.