Retrograde Developer

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have been away from Orbiter for about a year, installed 2010 P1 and feel like a Noob all over again! (I was once quite something in Orbiter development... so long as it didn't involve C++)

I have many questions, but let's try to answer just one: I find that Spacecraft3 animations which use the LeftShift + Numpad combination only work if I have the NumLock turned OFF. With NumLock turned ON I get RCS firing with the numpad keys alone and, with LeftShift + Numpad combination. This is true in Orbiter's Delta Glider and in all my SC3 vessels.

Is this a new "feature" (or fault) in Orbter 2010? Or could it be something to do with Windows 7 which I just started using? Or is it something unique to my new "noobieness?"

Thoughts? Ridicule? Anyone?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Usinian,

I sent you a PM a day or two ago. I've gotten the Vandenberg 2006 tiles and both SLC-4E and W to work in Orbiter 2010P1. Only some problems with the scenario files themselves that came with the pads (obsolete references?), not with the pads themselves. The leftshift+numberpad animations work just fine for me. I'm on Windows XP, but then again I am on a laptop and use a blue function key instead of numberlock, so I have no idea.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I was wondering where you got off to.

Any updates to X-15 Delta Planned? I still remember some of the epic flights I did with it.

And Artlav programmed kind of program that can convert spacecraft3 or something or another to DLL files. I have been away a bit so I'm not 100 percent but his stuff for development might be worth checking out.

Edit: Here it is [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]Spacecraft3 to DLL&C++ converter 110509[/ame] He also had this awesome thing in game where you could design dll ships but I don't remember what that project was even called.

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Is this a new "feature" (or fault) in Orbter 2010? Or could it be something to do with Windows 7 which I just started using? Or is it something unique to my new "noobieness?"

Thoughts? Ridicule? Anyone?

To answer the question, yes it is a peculiarity of Windows 7. It caused me fits too until some kind person answered my similar question on these forums...

:tiphat:

Usonian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To answer the question, yes it is a peculiarity of Windows 7. It caused me fits too until some kind person answered my similar question on these forums...

Well, crap. But thanks. It narrows the search for a solution. (And the ultimate solution may be, "Get over it.")

EDIT:
Actually, it DOES NOT seem to be strictly Windows 7. Just now, using my Windows 7 computer with Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Publisher 2003, I find that LeftShift overrides the NumLock as you would expect. When using those programs, LeftShift + Numpad9 acts as Page Up, LeftShift + Numpad2 acts as Arrow Down.

The problem appears to be in Orbiter 2010 or the interface between O-2010 and Windows 7. I never tried O-2010 with Windows XP. I guess my next step is to install O-2006 on my new machine and see if it plays nice with Windows 7.

Ultimately, I wish Vinka would come out with Spacecraft4

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hi there Usonian - A familiar name from back in the day, I see.

I'm using my laptop with Win XP for Orbiter (both 2010 and 2006) and have exactly the same results with SC3 animations as you are with NumLock, so it's not Win 7.

Welcome back! I hope you have some projects in mind.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
And yellow submarines!

Tho perhaps give that system by Artlav a try? Might fix the issue or atleast Artlav is around to possibly address it.

Don't know where vinka is these days.

Usonian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Tho perhaps give that system by Artlav a try?

Spacecraft3 ---> DLL

The great leap!

Finding time to devote to space fantasy is the issue, as always.

Regarding the shift+numpad, I am running Orbiter off a memory stick. I don't suppose that would have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

Jumper_001

Reaction score
I was just trying to get your Voyager through the Grand Tour this weekend - an exercise in patience for even an experienced Orbiteer with the limited DeltaV.

I also installed Orbiter, Project X-15 & X-15 Delta on a computer at the Saxon Aerospace Museum (http://www.saxonaerospacemuseum.com/) in Born, CA, just a few miles from Edwards AFB last weekend. I hope to add a nice binder with the manuals and some laminated checklists for different flights so the visitors can try it out for themselves after looking at the XLR-99 engine they have on display.

I would love to see more add-ons from you!

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Regarding Shift + Numpad keys, maybe this will help clarifying it:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=280363&postcount=33

Essentially, Orbiter is using a low-level keyboard interface in which all keys are treated the same. It shouldn't matter if Numlock is active or not. Likewise, if Shift is pressed only matters if Orbiter or the relevant addon module is specifically checking for it (but since shift is just another key, there is nothing peculiar about it. A module could check for 'A'+'B' just as well as for 'Shift'+'A').

That said, the Orbiter core does check for the shift key when it comes to RCS etc. (Generally, Shift key combinations are captured by MFD instruments, although they will hand back unrecognised key combinations to the core for further processing). Your vessel should not fire RCS thrusters if Shift is pressed together with numpad keys, with or without Numlock. If it does, your keyboard drivers or DirectInput drivers are broken.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Spacecraft3 ---> DLL

The great leap!

Finding time to devote to space fantasy is the issue, as always.

Regarding the shift+numpad, I am running Orbiter off a memory stick. I don't suppose that would have anything to do with it?

Well I hope you can have time to continue to develop in the future. As your addons are QUITE fun! :tiphat:

Usonian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
....That said, the Orbiter core does check for the shift key when it comes to RCS etc. (Generally, Shift key combinations are captured by MFD instruments, although they will hand back unrecognised key combinations to the core for further processing). Your vessel should not fire RCS thrusters if Shift is pressed together with numpad keys, with or without Numlock. If it does, your keyboard drivers or DirectInput drivers are broken.

I have checked this with several vessels -- those that come with Orbiter and Spacecraft3. If NumLock is on the Numpad keys fire the RCS thrusters, with and without the Shift key depressed. If NumLock is off then holding down a Shift key prevents numpad keys from firing the RCS.

I will see what I can do to check the keyboard drivers, but I have given this new computer a pretty thorough workout with Publisher and AutoCAD and the keyboard behaves as expected. I'm using a desktop computer with a conventional keyboard, not a laptop, if that makes a difference.

F3 (Change Subject)
Zachstar,
When I was last playing with Orbiter I was working on interiors for Skylab. I wasn't especially pleased with the progress, although I was nowhere near done. Then real life got in the way. (I will probably have my addons updated to O-2010 standards just as Orbiter 2015 is released!)

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Usonian...Usonian...OH!!...I remember you, it's been a while.

Usonian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Long ago, from a galaxy far, far...

Well, ok, from THIS galaxy, but it has been a while.