The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Just read it too.
I don't really believe in heroes or something, but spaceflight is one of my passions and he was a big part of that business.

RIP John.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
He was the last of the Mercury 7. The dawn of the space age is slipping further and further into recent memory.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
God Speed John Glenn :(

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well that just hits hard. John Glenn is responsible for my primary interest in spaceflight. I had had a passing interest before his STS-95 flight, but when my 3rd grade class watched that launch live, that ignited a lifelong interest. I still remember the words said by commentator Lisa Malone: "Booster ignition and liftoff of Discovery with a crew of 6 astronaut heroes and one American legend." (yes, I remember that line exactly, from when I was 8 and I'm 26 now, that's the impact it had.)

llarian

Reaction score
While John Glenn did not fire my primary interest in space (for me, it was Ed White), his passing ends an era. Like CAPCOM said at Friendship 7's lift off: "God speed, John Glenn." ... and may you now touch the face of God.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
STS-95 playlist on Youtube:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
He certainly was a hero volunteering to step into the unknown into a small tin can stacked atop a refurbished ICBM. He is also the first man in the West that equaled Gagarin, and from there, the Soviet advantage into the Space Race began to falter, forcing them into dangerous moves like Voskhod to keep the lead. So yes, he was a hero for Science but also for his nation. And then he just flew nearly anything in the US space inventory, even having a ride aboard the Shuttle at 77 as a Senator. Impressive. :salute:

Now of course it's a bit scary to see people like him and Armstrong passing away, while crewed space programs all around the globe seem to be grinding to a stop. :cry:

Last edited:

AC Cobra

Reaction score
I remember sitting in my school auditorium watching a black and white TV on that Feb. day in 1962 and feeling such a thrill as we watched Col. Glenn launch into space aboard Friendship 7. I had the same thrill many years later watching the launch of STS-95. From one old Marine to another Col. Glenn, you will be missed! Semper Fi.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Rest in peace Mr. Glen. You will truly be missed. And thank you for your service to our nation and mankind :salute:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I was six years old and playing outside when my mother called me inside. She had taken the old B&W TV and set it on a chair in the kitchen doorway. She gave me a glass of juice, turned the TV on and said, "Watch this" in a firm voice, and sat down herself to watch.

It was live coverage of the launch of Friendship 7, and by the time that flight was over, I knew I had a lifelong interest.

RIP John...:cry::salute:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I was 10 year old when John Glenn launched, no television, just newspaper and wireless in the Marconi sense. Listened and read everything.
He embodied the NASA ambition and striving for progress.

A sad loss.

N.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Safe travels John Glenn. We salute you.