Running Orbiter from a DVD?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't see the point. You can't add addons to a hard copy of Orbiter, so you'd better get it right the first time.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I imagine that you could put the install package on a cd, but beyond that, Izack is right. Once it's on there, it's permanent.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I think a usb thumbdrive would be better, if you are after mobility.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter also relies upon saving things to its own directory, which it can't do if its on a DVD (but can if it's on a usb drive)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Orbiter also relies upon saving things to its own directory, which it can't do if its on a DVD (but can if it's on a usb drive)

Like the (Current state).scn file.

However, putting Orbiter onto a DVD for someone else to try it or for backup purposes is fine.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I always back up my orbiter file on a zip in case of a crash.
Pain in the ... To have to reload all my add-ons.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I put orbiter on a flash drive for use in school. :) It keeps going after you disconnect the drive.

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
x64 systems are incompatible with a lot of things, but they aren't that bad!! :lol:

the problem was that i tried to load a 2010 install from another computer
and the install verfication tool didn't seem to work because it had addons(XR series)already installed

Tommy

Reaction score
I would suggest installing just the orbiter base and using the verification tool. After that, you can load the other install over the top of it and allow it to overwrite any files.

AFAIK, the verification tool checks your computer for required .dll's. If the Orbiter base installs correectly, then you should be able to "copy" an install from another machine and it should work (assuming there are no add-ons that require different .dll's.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have set up customized installations of Orbiter (for example, one specifically dedicated to Edwards AFB and the "X" series planes) with customized base configurations,etc and saved the whole kit and kaboodle to a disc many times over the years without any issues (doing so prevents incompatibility issues between addons).

However, DON'T try to "install" it from the disc as you would new software! Orbiter does not write anything to your registry (I'm speaking about previous incarnations of Orbiter as I currently have no experience with the latest version). Simply copy the files on the disc to a folder on your drive and everything should work...including installed addons. The exception being OrbiterSound. This I have always had to actually "install" to the same folder to get it working so I add the compressed file to each disc I make.

I have discs dedicated to the aforementioned "X" planes, Mercury & Gemini, AMSO and the Shuttle series (which come to think of it, I should probably update!). Made some nice disc art and jewel cases to keep 'em in too. When I'm done flying an installation, I can simply delete it from the drive without losing my customizations. If I make changes I want to keep, I just burn another disc.

Saves drive space AND a whole lot of headaches (for me anyway).

As mentioned in the previous thread, since I am only putting these installations back onto the machine they were created with, dll incompatibilities are not an issue. If you're trying to transfer them to another machine (I have only done this twice, but it's capabilities exceeded those of my PC), you may need to do a fresh install of Orbiter and once you've established that it is working correctly, drop the files saved to disc (except the executable or "launch" icon...you will want to use the one from the fresh installation) on it.

Last edited: