General Question Runway Lights?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello, At KSC, how do you get the runway lights to turn on? I'm using Orbiter 2016. Do I need to install a different texture? Thank you.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't know if you found the solution yourself, but they should turn on at night automatically.
The VASI and PAPI should be visible at all time when you're relatively close to the correct glideslope (viewing the runway from one of the ends).

llarian

Reaction score
Hello, At KSC, how do you get the runway lights to turn on? I'm using Orbiter 2016. Do I need to install a different texture? Thank you.

Your nightime texture should have _n at the end of the name before the extension. If the _n file is missing, I would re-download and install the original addon.

If you have redone the runway textures, you need to re-do the texture for nighttime visibility. Name it the same as your daytime texture just add the _n to the end of the name. Orbiter will use the _n texture at the appropriate time.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific about the location of the file I want to check? I did find a file in the Textures, "rwlight.dds", is that the one I should add the -n to?

llarian

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific about the location of the file I want to check? I did find a file in the Textures, "rwlight.dds", is that the one I should add the -n to?

Sorry, I was referring to if you were preparing your own nighttime textures. In the Textures directory, take a look at Lpad02a.dds and Lpad02a_n.dds to see what I mean. Simple adding _n to a file will not suffice.

Wedge313

Reaction score
I see the Lpad01_n.dds, and Lpad02_n.dds. Also _n files for Taxiway1 and 2. So I have Runway1.dds, Runway2.dds, and rwlight.dds. Am I missing a _n file that enables the nighttime runway lights? Is there something I can modify, or a file I can try to install (short of uploading the entire textures file)? Thanks

llarian

Reaction score
A brief preliminary search of OrbiterHanger finds enhanced runway textures but no particular nighttime textures of the complete runway from end to end. I suspect you want something like this:

https://www.boldmethod.com/images/learn-to-fly/regulations/what-to-know-about-runway-lighting-spacing-and-color-configuration/primary.jpg

In the textures directory in orbiter take a look at the Taxiway images and you can see how to repaint the textures to what you want. But since it doesn't seem that someone else has done it, you will have to do it yourself. It''ll be good practice.

Last edited:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the OP means that he is unable to see the runway lights being rendered during night time. There are no addons, or anything the user can do, that can fix this issue. Runway light rendering at night is a feature of the Orbiter Core, and is defined to the Orbiter core fro rendering by the base configuration files. There is a rw_light segment defined in the Canaveral.cfg base definition file which defines the runway lights. Are you sure it hasn't been deleted by mistake? There is no other reason why the runway lights don't show up at night.

Last solution is to freshly re-install Orbiter. Hope it helps.

Wedge313

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Canaveral.cfg file. At the very bottom the are four "fields", two RUNWAY and two RUNWAYLIGHTS (I don't see anything that looks like rw_light). Is there something there I should tweak? Please understand, I may be in over my head, if there was a Orbiter Code for Dummies, I'd need Cliff Notes, and have those dumbed down, and then turned into a YouTube tutorial before I'd understand a lot of what you guys are talking about. So thank you for your help and patience.