Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thank you Xyon

Last edited:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the "SAL Dragon launch to HST" scenario the Crew Dragon capsule is not on the launchpad for me, but is located, together with its trunk, at 0°N 0°W. The Falcon 9 for it is standing all alone on LC-39A.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Mine is spinning somewhere in space... :hmm:

barrygolden

Reaction score
Super idea Don. Really like the SAL and mating it the the MPCV and using it at an asteroid and that works super. Might should have used a Falcon Heavy and had 1 launch. The Apollo guys learned that multiple launched cost too much. I think the Gateway guys should take heed of that as well. I too have the issue with the Falcon/Dragon 2 launch. NASA needs to keep the HST working for as long as it can. Not sure if JWST will ever open it's eye in space.
We are storing the trunk and solar panels and stuff for the Lunar Dragon here in TX. You might think about bringing that to life

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Super idea Don. Really like the SAL and mating it the the MPCV and using it at an asteroid and that works super. Might should have used a Falcon Heavy and had 1 launch. The Apollo guys learned that multiple launched cost too much. I think the Gateway guys should take heed of that as well. I too have the issue with the Falcon/Dragon 2 launch. NASA needs to keep the HST working for as long as it can. Not sure if JWST will ever open it's eye in space.
We are storing the trunk and solar panels and stuff for the Lunar Dragon here in TX. You might think about bringing that to life

I seemed to have read, that because of safety requirements, that Crew Dragon will probably never fly on the Heavy (with people anyway). And, I think the weight would be too much for just the Falcon9.

But, thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Looking at this concept got me wondering about using a similar concept for Crew Dragon orbital lunar ops both using Falcon 9.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The launch scenario problem should now be fixed.

Replace the Dragon2 in the scenario with this if you don't want to re-download.

Code:
Dragon2:dragon2/dragon2_capsule
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.5771995 28.5619578
  HEADING 23.64
  ALT 0.952
  AROT 57.776 -18.826 8.898
  ATTACHED 0:0,Falcon9DRG
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  HTCH 0 0.0000 0 0.0000 2 1.0000 0 0.0000
  PARA 2 1.0000 0.5000 0.0000 0.0000 3 1.0000 0.0000 1
  TRGT NULL 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
  PYLD 0 0 0.0000 0 0 0.0010 0 0.0 0.0000 0.0000
  BEAC 0 0 0
END

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Looking at this concept got me wondering about using a similar concept for Crew Dragon orbital lunar ops both using Falcon 9.

If you think about it. The Falcon heavy is launching 3 Falcon9's. Where this launches 2.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Don your right about the Lunar Dragon. It was so hard to get Falcon Heavy to work that the cost to man rate it wasn't worth the cost or time but still might make a good orbiter mission. We do have a " suggestion box" here and I have sent several ideas including a rover for the Red Dragon and a Talon Lander for the Moon which i was asked to give more info about that. There is talk about when the ISS is shutdown to use the Dragon to fly to Gateway but just talk. Is it still planned to shutdown the ISS in 2026 ?
I did rethink the Falcon Heavy and came to the same conclusion about just using 2 Falcon 9's you right about that

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Thanks for the Dragon fix. Super job.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anyone able to do the mission ?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone able to do the mission ?

I've tried the launch scenario once it was fixed. I launched the Dragon and SAL at the same time, but they didn't end up in the same orbits. Same inclination, but different LANs. I guess you got that, too, because afterwards I read that the manual was suggesting to align the planes with the Falcon upper stage, so that you don't waste so much DV of the Dragon. I'll try that next time, then I can try to reach the HST as well.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Been thinking, of a CD launch with a FH launch duo! Moon mission perhaps ?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Been thinking, of a CD launch with a FH launch duo! Moon mission perhaps ?

I think a lander version of the Dragon capsule would be pretty sweet. Certainly more doable now with VB!

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got there!

rRsYAkg.png

Wasted a lot of fuel on the two rendezvous, I could have done that part much better. Maybe I'll try again, although having to do the plane change maneuvers is a bit annoying. Would be easier if the Falcon autopilot could insert its payload into a specific orbit, not just a specific inclination. Anyway, I really enjoyed the retraction animation after docking!. Now I can play around with the EVA and stuff.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you launch the FalconDR with the Align plane MFD, you can steer it closer to the FalconSAL's inclination. I think the Autopilot could be set up closer, but BrianJ would have more info on that, than I.

Thanks for trying it.

Also. did you sinc the Thrusters with the F6 key ?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you launch the FalconDR with the Align plane MFD, you can steer it closer to the FalconSAL's inclination. I think the Autopilot could be set up closer, but BrianJ would have more info on that, than I.

Ah, didn't think of trying to do manual steering during the ascent.

Also. did you sinc the Thrusters with the F6 key ?

Yes and it does work. The default attitude autopilots don't like either configuration though, so I did most of the attitude control by hand.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
FYI, because in Orbiter the Earth is a sphere and not "flat at the poles" as the real Earth, if the actual HST orbit data is used, a dog-leg has to be done during launch or you can't get co-planar with HST.
Actually, getting from KSC to the HST (or any 28.45º orbit) is much harder than getting to the ISS, because in this case there is no "in-plane time" at all, as in Orbiter KSC sits in a higher latitude than the real one.
For illustration purposes, an exaggerated version of this issue would be trying to get to HST while launching from near the poles.

turtle91

Reaction score
I used two launches at different times.
1. SAL targeted HST
After orbit insert, waited for next launch window to target the SAL, and then launched the Dragon.
Since I am using Linux/Wine, I removed all the SC3-vesslels + the dialog-vessels.
The file/folder-naming-convention for the SC3's are messed-up a bit (lower-case vs. upper-case).
And...the dialog-vessels are causing window-focus-lost using DXD9-client.

However, so I used just the HST, Dragon + SAL to dock to the HST without any issues.
But the EVAs are somehow not able to grapple anything.

I.e.: I opened the two doors at HST and "removed" the WFC. ( by touching the req. grapple-points, like in original HST_ex addon)
So the WFC-vessel has been spawned, but I found no way to grapple it.
I tried left hand...right hand F5 to make sure the grapple points are touching.
No way...and..not sure what F11 does (hand-loose/snap-to...).
I tried both F11-settings with both hands suing "k" and "g"...but still no grapple.