Yes, but we have the Probe on our side! :hailprobe:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, but we have the Probe on our side! :hailprobe:

:rofl:
That would be a great Reddit challenge: Get Scott Manley to hail the probe. :lol:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
The next time anyone cares to laugh about the lack of "realism" of Stock KSP please ask them to land on a random point on Orbiter's moon.. Or mars... or almost anywhere.

Yes you can't "play" Orbiter like you do KSP. *Cough* Delta Glider *Cough* However there is a point where the Magic of spaceflight utterly outweighs hyper realism. Without mods I got enough science done to do my first landing on Minmus. Sure with the reduced gravity it was easy to pick where I wanted to land. However where I landed was spectacular due to the terrain. Poor Jeb did not make it back with the sample from the nearby mountain because I spent too much time drooling at the view. A few hours later I had landed another nearby and returned with my first craft. Realistic? Maybe not compared to Orbiter sure. However I got more satisfaction with that landing than all my flights in Orbiter combined.

Personally I think the countless unfinished projects in the addon forums do more against Orbiter than Scott treating the unrealistic stock Atlantis like a Kerbal rocket.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BLASPHEMER !!!!

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
There are three things I prefer about KSP over orbiter:

1. Building ships. You can do it to a certain extent if you know your way with some coding, but let's face it, it is a lot easier whit the lego-style KSP.

2. The scenery. When you land somewhere in KSP, you always have an awesome view. The terrain is nice and there is a lot to visit.

3. The carreer mode. I like orbiter, but I don't feel like I have a goal. I like to make some missions to ISS using various craft or sending a mission to mars, but that's about it. I would like to build my own station, but using the notepad to put the module in the shuttle or on the rocket is usually more a pain in the ass than anything else (at least for me), so I just open KSP and assemble the ship and launch.

On the other hand though, there are also things I prefer for Orbiter:

1. Realism. By that I mean two things. First of all, it is our own solar system. KSP is a "copy" of our solar system, but it is not quite the same. Also, it is scaled down. Second, physics realism. Especially when it comes to that all mighty aerobrake. I won't hide it that when I see someone coming to Duna at a ridiculously high velocity and aerobraking 3 km over the surface with a ship that looks like the ISS and coming out whitout a scratch, that feels a bit weird.

2. All-made rockets. I know I said I liike KSP because I can build my own rockets, but sometime it can get annoying. You want to put a sattellite around Duna? Let's build something that has at least 40 boosters otherwise you won't get you payload to orbit. The ships are less nice from a look point of view and (I know it is still beta but) sometimes parts brake for no reasons and everything explode. I like having my delta IV Heavy and just puting my sat on top of it and launching it to mars. It looks nice and I don't need a 9 boosters aspergus staging rocket that looks bad to send it where I want it.

That being said, the debate if one or the other is better is pointless. One is a simulator built by one man alone (with some help from the community) and the other one is a game devlopped by a team of guys doing this as thier job.

For the scenery part though after seeing the image of Orbiter with some terrain, it might change my views of things.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I think it's a bit useless to compare KSP to Orbiter. It's like trying to compare Arma to something like Counterstrike.

Do they share similar qualities? Yes.

Do they have a similar theme/motif? Yes.

Do they cater to different audiences? Yes.

While their audiences may overlap, they are completely different games by design.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The next time anyone cares to laugh about the lack of "realism" of Stock KSP please ask them to land on a random point on Orbiter's moon.. Or mars... or almost anywhere.

Yes you can't "play" Orbiter like you do KSP. *Cough* Delta Glider *Cough* However there is a point where the Magic of spaceflight utterly outweighs hyper realism. Without mods I got enough science done to do my first landing on Minmus. Sure with the reduced gravity it was easy to pick where I wanted to land. However where I landed was spectacular due to the terrain. Poor Jeb did not make it back with the sample from the nearby mountain because I spent too much time drooling at the view. A few hours later I had landed another nearby and returned with my first craft. Realistic? Maybe not compared to Orbiter sure. However I got more satisfaction with that landing than all my flights in Orbiter combined.

Personally I think the countless unfinished projects in the addon forums do more against Orbiter than Scott treating the unrealistic stock Atlantis like a Kerbal rocket.

Well good for you. I on the other hand cannot stand KSP, find it to be a total waste of time, and it cannot hold my interest for more than 10 minutes, while I have flown countless hours in Orbiter doing all sorts of things to great satisfaction.

Seeing some KSP stooge fly like an idiot in Orbiter is not something I find entertaining but mind numbingly annoying.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I quite like KSP... but I also can't play it for more than 30 minutes before getting frustrated of the shortcomings.

But - Orbiter is also mostly fun because of the development of spacecraft and missions. If that is not your source of joy, Orbiter will not entertain you. You can just drop stages and engines and fuel and fairy dust together to fly into the darkness of space without a plan. But that only works for 2 hours and then bores you to hell. The more limited your resources get, the better Orbiter gets.

Also Zachstar is perfectly right - it is better to play an unfinished simulation game, than to have many unfinished and finished add-ons to choose from. :uhh:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The first and foremost difference is that Orbiter is 100%... free. And much less ressources-hungry. If you have a desktop computer and an Internet connection, you can run Orbiter and enjoy it.

KSP is more selective here.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The first and foremost difference is that Orbiter is 100%... free. And much less ressources-hungry. If you have a desktop computer and an Internet connection, you can run Orbiter and enjoy it.

KSP is more selective here.

Nuff said. The main difference between Orbiter & KSP is the difference between frames per second and seconds per frame...

:hailprobe:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Well good for you. I on the other hand cannot stand KSP, find it to be a total waste of time, and it cannot hold my interest for more than 10 minutes, while I have flown countless hours in Orbiter doing all sorts of things to great satisfaction.

Seeing some KSP stooge fly like an idiot in Orbiter is not something I find entertaining but mind numbingly annoying.

KSP stooge? You realize that kind of talk is validating the negative view towards the orbiter community right.

Want to know what I find not entertaining but mind numbingly annoying? Watching an Orbiter addon project for months before it dies... over... and over... and over again....

In my opinion IF the Orbiter community wants to sit on a throne of realism. It needs to actually upload addons and versions to bring realism to the sim at a decent rate.

Pablo49

Reaction score
KSP stooge? You realize that kind of talk is validating the negative view towards the orbiter community right.

Want to know what I find not entertaining but mind numbingly annoying? Watching an Orbiter addon project for months before it dies... over... and over... and over again....

In my opinion IF the Orbiter community wants to sit on a throne of realism. It needs to actually upload addons and versions to bring realism to the sim at a decent rate.

While "KSP stooge" not a very good thing to say, to act like Orbiter somehow did something to deserve a bad rap with the KSP community is laughable. I am laughing. Right now. To myself. Probably can't hear it though, silly internet. :(

Spoiler alert: Projects for anything can go on for eons and then die. It isn't something new or unique to orbiter. I guess you find everything ever to be mind numbingly annoying. :(

Also, I am pretty sure the community as a whole does't care about us sitting on THE THRONE OF REALISM (tm)(patents pending). Plenty of addons to use for any style of play. Who cares? (No one is the answer, and for those who do, dear god find something better to do than care what people who don't even use Orbiter think about it. k thnx.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

that really sounds like the Zachstar I remember. :facepalm:

Look at OH and please inform yourself about the work that other really hard working people do, before you criticize it.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OF Staff Note: Thread closed. This thread drifted vastly off-topic into a flamewar that has little to do with the original content.

Status
Not open for further replies.