Severe geomagnetic storm underway, 17.03.2015

steph

Reaction score
According to spaceweather.com, the Kp index is around 8. SevereWeatherEurope's facebook page posted some screenshots from a webcam in northern Germany showing some faint aurora curtains. Nothing in north-west France so far. Not that I know what to look for, as I've never seen it.. There is some light pollution, but not that significant. I've been thinking of going to the seaside, as in it might be more easily discernible against the ocean than against the lights of distant towns & villages.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
According to spaceweather.com, the Kp index is around 8. SevereWeatherEurope's facebook page posted some screenshots from a webcam in northern Germany showing some faint aurora curtains. Nothing in north-west France so far. Not that I know what to look for, as I've never seen it.. There is some light pollution, but not that significant. I've been thinking of going to the seaside, as in it might be more easily discernible against the ocean than against the lights of distant towns & villages.

Must be high in the North... I notice nothing at all here right now... but then, I have the town all in the North of me.

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.png

Goes down to Denmark.... What is the state in the Scandinavias?

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Here's a screenshot, taken from the webcam of Leibniz Institut fur Atmospharen Physik.

latest.jpg

Still nothing here. Faint glow to the north, but not sure if my eyes adjusted to the dark and I'm seeing distant city lights better or it's something out of the ordinary. Definitely within placebo range anyway. No streamers yet.

Off to a better viewing spot, i guess....:hailprobe:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And of course those of us in the US probably won't get to see it since daylight savings time just started and moved darkness back an hour!

</sarcasm>

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here's a screenshot, taken from the webcam of Leibniz Institut fur Atmospharen Physik.

Thats in Rostock, at the baltic coast. :) Beautiful

Sadly, much further north

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm dead center under that, but as usual... 100% overcast. :(

Doesn't look good for Friday's solar eclipse.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw the auroras for the first time in my 19 year old life tonight. Sadly, I live in the city, so there are lights everywhere. Therefore, it was only a faint green-gray glow in the sky (too dim to take a photo with my phone), and I can't see anything right now (23:28 local time). I live in Trondheim (63.4 degrees north).

I feel your pain, C3PO. It has not been a cloud on the sky the last five days, but now, three days before the eclipse, the forecast predicts clouds with rain on Friday, so I will probably be disappointed. The Moon will cover 93.9 % of the Sun, and the next time the Moon will cover that much during an eclipse is in September 2126 ...

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2015 at 01:47 ---------- Previous post was 17th Mar 2015 at 23:31 ----------

OK, I take that back.

I went out into a nearby forest to try to catch the auroras.
I was outside for about an hour (from 23:45 to 01:00 local time). The conditions are not perfect, as there is some light pollution. I lived outside a normal sized city before (10 km from a city with population of 40 000), and could then see something like 5 times as many stars as now. To illustrate it, I could just see the star Megrez in Ursa Major (I believe it's called "The Big Dipper" in English?), which has a magnitude of +3.3. It was close to zero clouds.

This was as mentioned earlier the first time I have seen the auroras, so I have little reference when it comes to judging the activity, but it blew out into full brightness three or four times in the hour I was outside, and the brightness was then something like Jupiter.

I attempted to take pictures of the aurora with my phone, but it was of course hard to get.
Here are my best shots:

South. The bright dot is Jupiter.

West. The city lights of Trondheim are shown.

North. A power line in the foreground.

North/up.

All photos are at ISO 2900, 1/9 second shutter speed, f/2.4. I used manual exposure +2. Captured with an LG G3 (2014) running CyanogenMod 12 Nightly using the Google Camera app.

A webpage I read recommended a shutter speed of at least 30 seconds when imaging auroras with a DSLR. My photos are of course not good, but considering the conditions, it seems like it was as good as it could get.

steph

Reaction score
This was frustrating to the point that now, in the morning , I'm a bag of anger just waiting to rage on anything that sets me off. Spent half the night staring at the sky, and didn't get to see anything. As in, not even some very distant, very faint auroras. There was this 64-second exposure I did that had what kinda looked like a red streamer (or pillar or whatever it's called). but its baaarely just there.And to top it all up, at about 4 AM I fell asleep at the computer. Not that there were many more chancez to see it at that hour.
Well...the fb pages pertainig to astronomy and severe weather are now awash with photos of the aurora taken from various locations, and they are really nice. Usually you get to see photos of it over the Scandinavian alps, not the French Alps :lol:.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Middle of Germany, just a bit north of Frankfurt/Main:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwyigshM1-I"]Echtzeit Polarlicht in Deutschland (Taunus) 17.03.2015 - YouTube[/ame]