Share your ideas to make the Solar System feel alive

Reaction score
When I first tried Orbiter, I felt a bit put off by the lack of near future bases and stations. It felt like a flight simulator with just a few airports. I downloaded XR2, which has been my spaceship of choice ever since, but it seems pretty odd for it and ISS to exist in the same world. Future ships require future bases, so I created a new scenario, with Deepstars in orbits around Earth and Mars, which in my lore are old exploration ships that serve as refueling/science hubs. This was a game-changer for me and made Orbiter so much more enjoyable.

I think that this thread could be a go-to topic for newcomers, with one place to find advice and ideas to make near-future worlds realistic. I'm not an expert, but I assume that stations at Lagrange points were proposed as relatively short-term goals. What kind of stations do you think these should be? What kind of goods can they receive?

Regarding Mars, science stations, mining sites and terraforming plants (to pump greenhouse gases) are probably plausible in near future. I have no idea about Luna though.

What kind of science stations are we likely to see in the near future? Looking at some potential missions, I'd say that Mars, Europa and Titan are likely to see space stations/bases first.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, my current plan is to start two things, now that the exams are over:

1. A middleware framework for large multi-crew spacecraft and AI traffic
  2. A family of similar, monolithic cargo ships using a variable base model that can be configured for different versions

Which should get turned into a release package as such:

1. Starting with a simple gas/liquid tanker variant, a basic gas giant refinery station and a basic refueling depot to be used in different planetary and satellite orbits
  2. Next increment should include a chemical factory in solar orbit.

CTarana45

Reaction score
When I first tried Orbiter, I felt a bit put off by the lack of near future bases and stations. It felt like a flight simulator with just a few airports. I downloaded XR2, which has been my spaceship of choice ever since, but it seems pretty odd for it and ISS to exist in the same world. Future ships require future bases, so I created a new scenario, with Deepstars in orbits around Earth and Mars, which in my lore are old exploration ships that serve as refueling/science hubs. This was a game-changer for me and made Orbiter so much more enjoyable.

I think that this thread could be a go-to topic for newcomers, with one place to find advice and ideas to make near-future worlds realistic. I'm not an expert, but I assume that stations at Lagrange points were proposed as relatively short-term goals. What kind of stations do you think these should be? What kind of goods can they receive?

Regarding Mars, science stations, mining sites and terraforming plants (to pump greenhouse gases) are probably plausible in near future. I have no idea about Luna though.

What kind of science stations are we likely to see in the near future? Looking at some potential missions, I'd say that Mars, Europa and Titan are likely to see space stations/bases first.

I've had this space station model forever! It was created on 1-9-2004. I've searched avsim.com and other sites! It's definitely going to be an Orbiter add-on soon!

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

Attachments

• Aldrin Station.jpg
    Aldrin Station.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 24

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I created a new scenario, with Deepstars in orbits around Earth and Mars, which in my lore are old exploration ships that serve as refueling/science hubs. This was a game-changer for me and made Orbiter so much more enjoyable.

I'd say a first step would be for you to share that scenario.
A forum post using
Code:
 tags will do.
Then others can improve upon it.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Back in 2016 or so, I downloaded all of the moons and asteroids and packed my Orbiter install with rocks! :LOL:

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I enjoy flying the XR5 as a space cargo/ passenger pilot, ferrying from Wide-Awake International to a Lunar Village I was working on (so far abandoned, maybe in the future I will continue work on it). I also enjoy doing accurate and precision direct reentries back to Wide-Awake using clever inverted reentry and IMFD. A bit repetitive, but all the same fun!