Shenzhou

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here you go: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3179"]China's Manned Space Program v1.5[/ame]

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
The 'China's manned space program' addon from the post above includes the Shenzhou spacecraft as well as the Long March launcher. MajorTom made the Shenzhou spacecraft also available as separate package here:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3182"]Shenzhou v1.01[/ame]

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

streb2001 (Steve Rouse) did the amazing Shenzhou mesh and textures, and is currently working on a dll to add UMMU and the ability to dock.

So...hopefully before too long, we'll be adding "Shenzhou 7" (the upcoming spacewalk mission expected in October 2008) and "Shenzhou X" (the version with a docking port, coming in real life...some day). Steve told me today he hopes to make good progress this summer.

As for why just Shenzhou 1 and 5? Well, Shenzhou's 2-4 weren't that interesting. Shenzhou 1 was the first flight, therefore significant. It had little aboard except a sack of tree seeds strapped in one of the seats :). Then of course, Shenzhou 5 was the first flight with a human "Taikonaut," Yang Liwei, sort of China's "John Glenn."

Shenzhou 4, however, was a full-dress mockup of Shenzhou 5, but with a dummy onboard. Just not compelling ;).

Thanks for downloading!

MT

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Theres a planned two manned mission with the shenzou but i dont think that would happen after the hurricane that China had, they need to be conetrated on other things.

startrekmaniac

Reaction score
I downloaded 1.5 the other day, but it only has shenzu 1 and 5. Are these the only add ons for shenzu? Could I copy the two senrio files and change the date and time. If I can how do I do it?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I downloaded 1.5 the other day, but it only has shenzu 1 and 5. Are these the only add ons for shenzu? Could I copy the two senrio files and change the date and time. If I can how do I do it?

Sure, it's very easy, once you understand how to edit a scenario. You could use the setup for Shenzhou 5 to simulate Shenzhou 6, for instance...I think the spacecraft are similar.

Orbiter comes with a utils directory that has a program date.exe. You can enter the date and time you want into here, and you get the "Modified Julian date," in the form 54635.741331 (which I got just now).

Save a new copy of the scenario you want to change, copy this MJD number over the similar-looking MJD number already there, then run your new scenario.

You can change other things too, but I've not got the time to work on this now...got to run!

MT

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Theres a planned two manned mission with the shenzou but i dont think that would happen after the hurricane that China had, they need to be conetrated on other things.

Hi Ryan,

Have you any proof that they're delaying their next mission because of the hurricane? Last I heard it was still on for October.

MT

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Im not saying there cancelling it, but i dont think they should millions of there people are dead and more homeless i think they shouldnt luanch, its not a race.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Im not saying there cancelling it, but i dont think they should millions of there people are dead and more homeless i think they shouldnt luanch, its not a race.
OK. Back in 2005 the US was hit by a major hurricane and millions ended up homeless which many still are. The area worst hit was New Orleans in Louisiana.

Guess which NASA facility is located just outside New Orleans? It's the Michoud Assembly Facility(MAF).

Just 2 months after the hurricane hit, it was back up and running even though most of the Lockheed Martin Space Systems employees who work there was homeless and living in temporary homes.

And they managed to get ET-119 out of the door on-time to support a launch of STS-121 in May. Then shortly after that they got ET-118 shipped to KSC and made it support a potential LON mission with time to spare.

They have made a fantastic recovery despite their current living situations. Every time they ship a tank, I think of this and stand in awe of what they have accomplished.

They're fantastic in making up lost time and the next tank, ET-128 is set to ship in just in a few weeks despite being behind schedule for weeks and could have ended up missing its KSC need date.

Now it looks like they they may beat that date by a week or more which will give the KSC team alot of usefull contingency time to deal with any problems!

Edit:
Also it was earthquake that hit China, not a hurricane. What you're thinking of is Burma, not China.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent points DaveS

When you're recovering from a disaster, it may well be that a challenging task is just what you need to give you the focus to move on and recover.

To simply stop "business as usual" because you're licking your wounds...well, maybe there's a time and place for that, but it's not in human nature as I know it. (People love challenges)

MT

lindemherz

Reaction score
One of my most cherished friends is from Hunan (a province right next to Sichuan, where the earthquake hit) and she is back there right now. She tells me that people in that area are doing all that they can to move on and prove themselves and the world that, despite the tragedy, they won't be stopped. People do love challenges.

Besides, apart from the Olympics this year, Shenzhou is one of the biggest sources of national pride, and people could use the moral boost.