Problem Skew animation at an angle

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am currently developing an addon in Spacecraft 3, that I hope to convert to .dll later. Part of my spacecraft is a series of booms arranged in a somewhat star-like pattern, with a total of twelve (seperation angle between booms of 30 degrees.

I can easily scale the booms that align with the X and Y axes, but due to their angle the other booms squish outwards in a manner that is most certainly not intended.

I'll try to use this substandard diagram to illustrate. Here there are 8 booms (represented by four groups) instead of 12 (represented by 6 groups).
BadAnimation.jpg

Purple is the start (unextended) position.
Light blue is the end (extended) position.
Yellow is the intended result of a boom being extended at a 45 degree angle.
Green is the ugly end position of a 45 degree angle boom scaled up at the same ratio as the straight booms. Because it is at an angle, scaling by X and Y pull it in directions other than along its length.

I can't use translation and multiple segments (this would result in something like 30 segments per boom, each having to be expressed as a seperate group- they're pretty long booms) and would effectively double my poly count. Vertex animation would be a good bet, but I don't have the slightest clue as to how I would get it to work.

Surely there is some solution to a similar problem, out of all the Sc3 addons that have been created? It'd be quite annoying if something so relatively simple couldn't be supported by anything other than a jury-rigged solution, or vertex animation...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would copy and paste the blue ones and turn them 45 degrees, when you are finished scaling.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is an animation issue within Orbiter, not a modelling issue. The graphic was quick-and-dirty model in Anim8or, I didn't have much trouble setting up the yellow beam example.

If only there was a way to "copy and paste" within the animation parameters. :(

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah, I see now, but I should think it would be similar to the yellow one only in a different starting point.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm slightly confused as to what you mean. Wouldn't that just make the boom more skew than it would be otherwise?