Slingshot to Uranus

penlu

Reaction score
If you launched from Mars's moon, Phobos, on a Hohmann transfer to Saturn and slingshotted around it to Uranus, how long would it take to get to Uranus? Could someone also give me a launch window?

to be

Reaction score
The way that question is worded doesn't really let it be answered. Do you want to get there as fast as possible? Over any date range? Do you want to use the least fuel? Or do you just want any date where you can preform a swingby on Saturn and get to Uranus at some point.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
He's asking: With a Hoffman transfer from Mars to Saturn, how long would it take to get to Uranus. I'd say, benchmark: 11 years. I'm sure some people can crunch the numbers for you, though.

Or use TransX and work it out :)

to be

Reaction score
It depends on a lot of things, there isn't a simple answer

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A benchmark answer is simple :).

Given that, in Orbiter, time is not a problem (the launch could occur 1000's of years into the future), it is possible to find the most technically efficient window. When Saturn will be as close to Mars as possible, and Uranus is poised perfectly to be in place relative to Saturn at the time of the sling.

The hardest part would be finding the launch window. I, for one, don't have the patience. Given the size of Saturn and Uranus' orbit, you could be looking thousands upon thousands of years into the future.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Using TransX. Set up a Hoffman to Saturn, with a sling to Uranus. Keep moving the launch forward in time until you find a flight that needs the lowest possible delta-V to reach Saturn, and slings you relatively close to Uranus.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not to be an ass .. but isn't it a Hohmann Transfer Orbit rather than Hoffman?

Correctly. But you can listen to Wolf Hoffmann, when coasting to Uranus.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And I'd post a Uranus joke here, however I think I'd be making an ass of myself.

Hence the need for the slingshot.

Just a thought: If this launch would indeed occur 1000's of years in the future, would it be reasonable to say that there would likely be a craft that would have a more fuel-efficient propulsion system than, say, the DGIV? If we're taking off from Phobos, I would think things have gotten a lot more advanced than "near-future" craft such as are currently seen in Orbiter. For that reason I would justify using unlimited fuel or "adding" a little fuel in-flight with the scenario editor and not worrying about the absolute most efficient window.

But that's just me. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hence the need for the slingshot.

Just a thought: If this launch would indeed occur 1000's of years in the future, would it be reasonable to say that there would likely be a craft that would have a more fuel-efficient propulsion system than, say, the DGIV? If we're taking off from Phobos, I would think things have gotten a lot more advanced than "near-future" craft such as are currently seen in Orbiter. For that reason I would justify using unlimited fuel or "adding" a little fuel in-flight with the scenario editor and not worrying about the absolute most efficient window.

But that's just me. Take it for what it's worth.

Well, yes, IRL, sure. But I think the original poster was just asking about Orbiter. :)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, yes, IRL, sure. But I think the original poster was just asking about Orbiter. :)

What do you mean, in real life? I don't understand what you're saying? Orbiter is real life. What are you trying to say? Are you saying that Orbiter isn't real? :sniff: How could you say that? It's not true! I don't believe you! :sniff, sniff:

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What do you mean, in real life? I don't understand what you're saying? Orbiter is real life. What are you trying to say? Are you saying that Orbiter isn't real? :sniff: How could you say that? It's not true! I don't believe you! :sniff, sniff:

I mean: In REAL life (i.e, not in Orbiter), you're right; humans will probably have advanced propulsion methods making Hohmann transfers redundant. However if, in Orbiter, I launch a rocket in the year 3454, it will still be 2008 everywhere else. :p