OHM Solar Probe

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

NASA's mission to study the Sun's corona, photosphere, magnetic field and solar wind.

Add-on includes original SolarProbe2005 mission design and current SolarProbePlus design, AtlasV551 launcher with Star48BV 3rd stage, launch and post-launch scenarios, etc.

Spacecraft also feature simple thermal simulation based on insolation/radiation and thermal control systems.

Launch scenarios require:
Vinka's "multistage2.dll" available at Vinka's website
http://users.swing.be/vinka/

"MRO" add-on
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3711
(for the launch pad)
"StageDLL" for Orbiter2010 (fixes Vinka's stage.dll bug)
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4661

Thanks to Graham2001 for the idea and documentation :)

DOWNLOAD

romanasul

Reaction score
I can honestly say I've been checking orbithangar every hour for the past week for this addon. I'm going to try it out right away, thanks again Brianj.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Graham2001 - there y'go! Thanks for the idea and source material, I had a lot of fun making this one. I've made the SolarProbe2005 flight but ended up approaching the Sun from the South (maybe it's supposed to be that way?) Good inclination and min.alt though. Haven't tried the SolarProbePlus trajectory yet.

All the best,
Brian

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

I can honestly say I've been checking orbithangar every hour for the past week for this addon. I'm going to try it out right away, thanks again Brianj.
Hello :) hope it all works for you!

Graham2001

Reaction score
Looking forward to testing this one out and of course to whatever else you add to the Hangar in the future.

romanasul

Reaction score
The addon works wonderfully, it took me about 3 hours of play time to complete the mission and I was at 100000x acceleration most of the time. I also love the Atlas V551, it adds a certain realism by forcing me to calculate the exact delta V because of the inaccuracy of the solid fuel third stage.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The addon works wonderfully, it took me about 3 hours of play time to complete the mission and I was at 100000x acceleration most of the time. I also love the Atlas V551, it adds a certain realism by forcing me to calculate the exact delta V because of the inaccuracy of the solid fuel third stage.
Cool. I also think the fixed dV of the third stage makes launches a bit more challenging. My usual method is to overburn the Centaur stage and then delay the 3rd stage burn until dV required matches dV available.
Since the final Centaur/3rd stage burn is so long (I suspect a more efficient elliptical parking orbit would be used) the required dV is changing during the 3rd stage burn - so I usually end up with about 20-30m/s error. Which seems reasonable to me.

I'm halfway through my SolarProbePlus flight and all going well. After that I might give GAIA a try :)

All the best,
Brian

romanasul

Reaction score
BrianJ, is there any chance of you releasing a version of your Atlas V rockets for custom payload, like you did with the delta 2 missions mod?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BrianJ, is there any chance of you releasing a version of your Atlas V rockets for custom payload, like you did with the delta 2 missions mod?
I've been thinking about trying to make a properly integrated AtlasV - rather than the stack of different modules I've ended up with (that's just how it evolved) - but could never make a 1st Stage pitch/yaw/roll function as good as Vinka's "multistage2.dll". I might give it another try though.

In the meantime I might be able to put together something with a configurable payload, along the lines of the Delta II Missions Mod or just some kind of attachment (that reads attached payload mass). I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.

Cheers,
Brian

Obunga

Reaction score
Very nice! Have you ever thought of making Curiosity?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very nice! Have you ever thought of making Curiosity?
Thanks. Yes, but it would be a big project to take on. The rover and the skycrane alone would be a big modelling task. Add in the heatshield/backshell/cruise module and automatic aerodynamic control during Mars entry, jettisoning counterweights etc.etc. and it becomes a bit daunting. Need more motivation - like terrain collision detection in Orbiter so you can actually drive the rover around! Or a lot more spare time :)
It would be an interesting challenge though.

All the best,
Brian

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
but could never make a 1st Stage pitch/yaw/roll function as good as Vinka's "multistage2.dll". I might give it another try though.

Hi Brian,

if you like the Jarvis dll version I can help you with the code of an atlas V first stage attitude control!

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

if you like the Jarvis dll version I can help you with the code of an atlas V first stage attitude control!
Hi Fred,
that is a very kind offer - thank you! Let me have a look at the Jarvis this weekend (it looks very sophisticated!!) The autopilot is PEG based? That would be nice to do for the AtlasV, but I may need some help! I will send you a PM later.

P.S. I'm glad you have solved your Space Station module mesh problem :thumbup:

Cheers,
Brian

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The autopilot is PEG based? That would be nice to do for the AtlasV, but I may need some help! I will send you a PM later.

Yes, it's absoultely PEG based! but not from the ground, first part is gravity turn, user customizable (see GRAVITY TURN VERTICAL ACCELERATION in Jarvis) and then at an altitude of 35 km the multi stage PEG is triggered.

It's actually quite a mess to make it work :lol: but it would be nice to work for reproducing a real rocket :thumbup:

P.S. I'm glad you have solved your Space Station module mesh problem :thumbup:
Thanks buddy :tiphat:

Obunga

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, but it would be a big project to take on. The rover and the skycrane alone would be a big modelling task. Add in the heatshield/backshell/cruise module and automatic aerodynamic control during Mars entry, jettisoning counterweights etc.etc. and it becomes a bit daunting. Need more motivation - like terrain collision detection in Orbiter so you can actually drive the rover around! Or a lot more spare time :)
It would be an interesting challenge though.

All the best,
Brian

Well I have some good news about the terrain collision detection which is coming in the next Orbiter. :)

NOMAD

Reaction score
Looks great ! Especially the Atlas V rocket ! There's one problem is when I played with D3D9 Client, the HUD display won't appear until I jettisoned the Centaur stage. Is there any solution to it ? Thanks !

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks great ! Especially the Atlas V rocket ! There's one problem is when I played with D3D9 Client, the HUD display won't appear until I jettisoned the Centaur stage. Is there any solution to it ? Thanks !
Hi,
not quite sure what the precise problem is. Do you mean:
The entire HUD display does not work in the AtlasV 1st stage or Centaur, but does work in the Star48BV kick-stage and SolarProbe?

Or is it just the "extra" info I add to the default HUD display?

The Star48BV/SolarProbes are VESSEL3 class, whereas the AtlasV and Centaur are VESSEL1 / VESSEL2 - they have different ways of drawing the HUD.

Is this a known problem for D3D9 client? I only really use the vanilla Orbiter2010-P1 so I'm just guessing....anyone know?

Cheers,
Brian

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

It does look amazing, doesn't it! Hope Martin can get it ready for release soon :)

NOMAD

Reaction score
Hi,
not quite sure what the precise problem is. Do you mean:
The entire HUD display does not work in the AtlasV 1st stage or Centaur, but does work in the Star48BV kick-stage and SolarProbe?

Or is it just the "extra" info I add to the default HUD display?

The Star48BV/SolarProbes are VESSEL3 class, whereas the AtlasV and Centaur are VESSEL1 / VESSEL2 - they have different ways of drawing the HUD.

Is this a known problem for D3D9 client? I only really use the vanilla Orbiter2010-P1 so I'm just guessing....anyone know?

Cheers,
Brian

Sorry for my unclear expression. My problem is the extra info does not display in Atlas V 1st stage and Centaur when I use D3D9 Client. The default HUD works fine.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My problem is the extra info does not display in Atlas V 1st stage and Centaur when I use D3D9 Client. The default HUD works fine.
Ah, OK.

The AtlasV 1st stage HUD does not have any extra info(it is multistage2.dll controlled)

The Centaur stage HUD should have the Autopilot status and remaining dV for the Centaur and Star48BV displayed somewhere on the left (depending on your screen resolution)

Attached to this post are two new VESSEL3 class .dll's for the AV099 and AV100 Centaurs. If you get a chance to try them, could you let me know if they work with the D3D9 client?

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• solarprobe_centaur_dll_140422.zip
    107.9 KB · Views: 5