Discussion Soyuz Addon wishlist

stealthstar

Reaction score
I have been having a hard time with pretty much every Soyuz addon in orbiter hangar mods. So I am compiling a list of what a Soyuz addon should have.
  1. It works with no crashes or critical error reports
  2. Best possible detail & VR cockpit
  3. All versions of Soyuz payloads (TMA crew, cargo, progress, etc.) without needing more addons
  4. All steps of launch from train transport to launch pad loading & crew boarding
  5. Solar panels extend at a realistic rate
  6. TMA crew launch to ISS & return to earth scenarios with ground recovery standing by
  7. translation from Russian to English language change option in custom page
  8. Auto pilot input method or manual mode option

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There is a major problem with point 1. If someone doesn't install it correctly then it WILL crash. To say that an addon shouldn't have 'any crashes or error reports' is the same as saying 'I should never need to charge up my phone'. It's just not based in reality.

stealthstar

Reaction score
There is a major problem with point 1. If someone doesn't install it correctly then it WILL crash. To say that an addon shouldn't have 'any crashes or error reports' is the same as saying 'I should never need to charge up my phone'. It's just not based in reality.
The thing is I did try installing it the correct way. I extracted from the zip file directly to my orbiter location in my documents which worked perfectly for a bunch other addons I have. But in my experience anything Soyuz doesn't work even though I installed it correctly. Configure mesh & other files seem to be missing after running orbiter diagnostics and I hit extract ALL FILES

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This is the one that I use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5972"]Soyuz Series[/ame]

and it works very well for me, yes, I've had a couple of crashes but that has been down to me incorrectly defining the payload.

stealthstar

Reaction score
This is the one that I use Soyuz Series

and it works very well for me, yes, I've had a couple of crashes but that has been down to me incorrectly defining the payload.

That was in fact one of the addons I was trying to get (also I really wanted working) But how exactly did you get it to work? Please guide me through it step by step best as you can. I really want a Soyuz TMA crew vehicle & ISS scenarios. I'm actually kinda surprised orbiter never had a default Soyuz scenario because they include the space shuttle Atlantis and a few fictional spacecraft even though the Soyuz has one of the longest operational history out of any spacecraft service.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You're welcome to dive into add-on developpement. It's not that horrible. :tiphat:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Welcome to Orbiter. It can be very frustrating at first, but it is also the way you learn how it works and is part of the enjoyment.

stealthstar

Reaction score
You're welcome to dive into add-on developpement. It's not that horrible. :tiphat:

That actually sounds like a good idea! What programs do you recommend for creating addons? I want to try to create the best Soyuz addon I can. The most experience I have with CG software is Google sketchup but that has it's limits.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Stealthstar, have you tried the Soyuz included in [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3737"]this addon[/ame]?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
... I want to try to create the best Soyuz addon I can. The most experience I have with CG software is Google sketchup but that has it's limits.

With that you can do 3D meshes for an add-on. But the addon itself is more than just a 3D model.

There are simple ways to get a vessel working though, but bare in mind that there's always some setup / programming to do. It simply doesn't work by magic.

So get working yes, but take your time and don't frustrate at the first problem. There will be many :thumbup:

Soyuz is a complicated vessel(s), composed of 3 parts... You must start with something much simpler, let's say a cube sat.
Then move on to stuff that has animations, etc...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And learn about the physics in space... Space is nowhere like you are used to from Earth. No friction - with all the effects that you have never been warned from in school.