Idea Space Derelic (not space debris)

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Perhaps just for fun and as a start...instead of model with a solid outer shell he means just model in some corridors in it. Thus, with some standard EVA controls you can fly around (very carefully) in the confines of the corridors and "visit" the craft. Of course if you ran into the walls they would disappear and you would just see the inside of the model but if one flies carefully enough they could preserve their own immersion by not hitting the walls.

this would be just like visiting a UMMU base on the moon. you can't open doors but you can pretend to walk through them, and you can just jump out and die at any time but you can pretend to be confined by the walls and be "inside" the buildings.

Keatah

Reaction score
Let us all take a break from all this heavy discussion and sit back and enjoy!!

twin towers at 1:14
jet fighter 1:56
Anybody see the space shuttle here?

Bonus - 1

Bonus-2

Bonus-4

Last edited:

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score
Well, radiation permute things on the long run no ?
Meaning, a space derelict may turn into ... CHEESE ! Okay, I don't know.

Perhaps just for fun and as a start...instead of model with a solid outer shell he means just model in some corridors in it. Thus, with some standard EVA controls you can fly around (very carefully) in the confines of the corridors and "visit" the craft. Of course if you ran into the walls they would disappear and you would just see the inside of the model but if one flies carefully enough they could preserve their own immersion by not hitting the walls.

this would be just like visiting a UMMU base on the moon. you can't open doors but you can pretend to walk through them, and you can just jump out and die at any time but you can pretend to be confined by the walls and be "inside" the buildings.

You phrased it better than me. I resurrected this topic just in case it would make developer want to make their own super-project "derelict-capable" (a seals of excellence !).

Let us all take a break from all this heavy discussion and sit back and enjoy!!

Those are nice video, the guy who made "habitat" know his stuff, most mesh creator forget that the shield don't really need to move.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
except that little copper colored spacecraft should be firing mostly "downwards" or outwards not "forward". I know because I tried to fly around the giant ring habitat that is available for orbiter.

Keatah

Reaction score
except that little copper colored spacecraft should be firing mostly "downwards" or outwards not "forward". I know because I tried to fly around the giant ring habitat that is available for orbiter.

I'll need to re-watch that, but not right now, perhaps it is an aircraft with airfoils producing lift?

Anyways, what ring habitat are you referring to??? Are you talking about the mini-ringworld or big-wheel?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2548"]Earth 2120 Part 1: The Big Wheel[/ame]

this is the big wheel I was using. It's well made and pretty visually satisfying :thumbup:

I found that it was probably the last thing I downloaded before using 2010 so I have no idea whether it is compatible with 2010 or not... less words-> I had it installed on 2006 p1.

Its is VERY hard to fly along the ring as you are in quite a DIFFERENT orbital reference frame than the ring if you are not near the middle. The words frustrating and complicated come to mind if you are trying "fly along the ring." It's no easy feat but well worth the try just to know.

Keatah

Reaction score
Earth 2120 Part 1: The Big Wheel

this is the big wheel I was using. It's well made and pretty visually satisfying :thumbup:

I found that it was probably the last thing I downloaded before using 2010 so I have no idea whether it is compatible with 2010 or not... less words-> I had it installed on 2006 p1.

Its is VERY hard to fly along the ring as you are in quite a DIFFERENT orbital reference frame than the ring if you are not near the middle. The words frustrating and complicated come to mind if you are trying "fly along the ring." It's no easy feat but well worth the try just to know.

I had it running briefly as a quick and dirty test for 2010p1. I'll put it back once I finish all my testing and evaluation activities.

I imparted a rotational motion to the habitat ring, just change the scenario axis values. And to simulate a meteor impact I changed 2-axis! So the wheel is now wobbling like a bashed bike tire. NOW try hovering or maneuvering around the damaged spot in a dragonfly. Repair crews *ARE* indeed highly capable pilots, don't you think?

Sealing the breach has got to be the most demanding activity in orbiter in terms of stationkeeping and docking activities!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
whoah... that would really be horrific. i wonder how the citizens would feel??!?!?!?

Keatah

Reaction score
whoah... that would really be horrific. i wonder how the citizens would feel??!?!?!?

I would imagine pretty much a combination of space sickness and g-forces that keep shoving you from side to side.

A scenario I'm trying to work on would entail using some large boosters you have to connect to the wheel to re-stabilize it. while simultaneously working on patching the hole.

I could see this as the perfect co-op multiplayer venture. a handfull of pilots need to bring materials to the point of impact or rupture. Then, we need pilots to fly the rim mounted attitude jets into position. Everybody needs to co-ordinate everything together. Fire the jets on time at the right time.

Even more folks can participate by acting as a mission control.
As far as actually doing any repairs, that's the grey area, and that is fine. The challenge comes in with stationkeeping maneuvers.

I'm sure I'll need OMP to be developed more for this to work. But it will happen sooner or later.

Last edited:

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score

Ha yeah, that.
Nick-picking, why is the Orion spacecraft still used ? Is that just a fusion powered replica ?

Sealing the breach has got to be the most demanding activity in orbiter in terms of stationkeeping and docking activities!
Well, if we had to do that we would just use walker with mechanical arm. (think : mechanical monkey)
Until somebody discover some particle and thing go wrong.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT

I remember there being some wrecked station, I don't really remember where it came from but I labeled it as part of the XR-project.
Here is the pict.
Due to the number of details, maybe it's not for Orbiter but if somebody know, I would certainly love do some EVA in a station like that.
(of course, since there is no way to "walk" inside it better not be rotating.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Ha yeah, that.
Nick-picking, why is the Orion spacecraft still used ? Is that just a fusion powered replica ?

Well, if we had to do that we would just use walker with mechanical arm. (think : mechanical monkey)
Until somebody discover some particle and thing go wrong.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT

I remember there being some wrecked station, I don't really remember where it came from but I labeled it as part of the XR-project.
Here is the pict.
Due to the number of details, maybe it's not for Orbiter but if somebody know, I would certainly love do some EVA in a station like that.
(of course, since there is no way to "walk" inside it better not be rotating.

Could be somebody out for a drive in a classic car (or spacecraft), or maybe they are moving it around for a museum.

When I was thinking of the breach, I envisioned some dragonflys maneuvering large metal plates into position. Or at least bringing them to both topside and bottomside. The walker and arm could do the welding and sealant sprays. At the very least we're gonna need spacecraft hanging around there.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

I would like to see something like rama, but with extra-ordinary destruction inside and all sorts of disease, unknown disease. Something coming from "outer-space" or way beyond being out there. On a strange trajectory.

Now that would be a good mystery!

Last edited:

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score
Let's brainstorm the idea.

Listed roughly from the seemingly less difficulty to the most difficult.

- Classic
rendezvous + EVA
The derelict spaceship (or ground station) can be non-UGCO, the mesh is complex enough that there is part you can't see (no, going through isn't realist)
You need to avoid yourself going through the wall.

Goal : "Play pretend", "Search for the hidden word".

- User activated mechanism
Messages on the mesh of the spaceship ask for the player to activate the deadly trap. "Press G key to be eaten by a grue"
Common interaction may include and are not limited to :
The entrance door closing, forcing you to find another way.
The ship moving.
Part detaching.

- UCGO objectives
Some UCGO cargo is placed inside the derelict, it must be carried back to home.
I think the Universal Cargo Deck can be used in replacement.

- I don't know if it's even possible
You plotted and interception course, you burned fuel and then 6 month later half-way, you realize the derelict orbit/trajectory changed.
Or you just docked to it and suddenly it decide to go for a dive in Jupiter's atmosphere.

/!\ Using the Universal Cargo Deck, you will need to "attach" your ship to the derelict, then you have to figure out where it's center of mass is situated.
You may also use it to place and reorient fictional thruster to the derelict to stop it's rotation, turn in to face in a certain direction (using killrot once most of the momentum is killed)
Funny though : for ship like the DG it's just like docking the nose then rotating around it to have the hover 90° in the right direction.

Recurring problem
: Unless we put some ambient-light, The next generation of add-ons is incited to figure out torchlight on everything.

Note : having more that one dock could permit the spaceship to deploy eva while being docked to the derelict.
Problem avoidable through Universal Cargo Deck

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Press G key to be eaten by a grue"

>Quickscope Grue

I think the Universal Cargo Deck can be used in replacement.

Why? UCGO is perfect for the job. Your UMMU has to find a way to release it, come back to it, grapple it and carry it out without being eaten by a Grue... with UCGO and action areas this is almost a no-brainer to code.

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score
I was just taking into account what the first page said : that UGCO is hard to implant "well".

But the UCD can really be used by anybody, I did some test with a DG-IV and a XR-5 to see how hard it would be to find the center of gravity.
Remembering me that the gimbals don't rotate enough to find the ISS one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was just taking into account what the first page said : that UGCO is hard to implant "well".

I can't really understand that statement. UCGO is pretty easily implemented, and with UMMU 2.0 action areas, it is no deal to access it if you don't want to focus the derelict.

Hard would be implementing a custom function dialog to interact with the derelict over clbkGeneric messages.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Note : having more that one dock could permit the spaceship to deploy eva while being docked to the derelict.
Problem avoidable through Universal Cargo Deck

Is that really necessary?

I don't think I would trust the docking mechanism of a dilapidated spacecraft.

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score
=> Urwumpe
Well, I'm no developer.
But since all ship don't seem to be always UGCO (some don't need too, though)

=> T.Neo
Okay, I admit you may not want to dock to the ship whose communication cut with human distress and monster-like howl.

But if you need to push the damned thing it's more fulfilling to dock than to launch the scenario editor, make your spaceship a cargo with precise position point and all.
Paranoid may just close both door and empty the airlock before.

UNLESS, you make sure the target have grapple point for manipulator arm, witch is another things all spacecraft aren't equipped with.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I'm no developer.

Nobody is born as one. To become a developer, you just have to develop. And honestly: What you are doing here is nothing else but development. Even if you think this is not enough development yet.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UNLESS, you make sure the target have grapple point for manipulator arm, witch is another things all spacecraft aren't equipped with.

A metal post for an RMS to grab isn't that hard to place on a spacecraft, nor is it dependant on the various other things a docking requires.

I would be more worried with an actual physical or mechanical failure regarding the docking port than space zombies or alien creatures.

But there is still danger if there were crew members aboard the vessel... or if it was carrying perishable food.

The DG and kin can depressurise during/before docking, and some spacecraft (like Apollo) can depressurise the entire spacecraft, but other spacecraft don't have that luxury.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But since all ship don't seem to be always UGCO (some don't need too, though)

This can have one of three reasons:
a) the ship is a spacecraft3 vessel that doesn't have a custom dll.

b) The ship doesn't have any cargo

c) the ship brings its own cargo management with it (see XR vessels).

an add-on like you're thinking about here can't go with possibility a. You'll ONLY have make-believe, no matter which way you turn it. You need a custom dll, or this will suck, period.

possibility b doesn't apply, or we wouldn't be discussing this, and possibility c is way harder to do than add UCGO support.

Believe me, implementing UCGO support and action areas is a breeze when you're already coding a dll.