Space Exploration Exhibit

Pedro Caldeira

Reaction score
Hello All,

Being a old Orbiter fan and user, I knew some of the capabilities of the program.
I was away from Orbiter and space flight simulation for a while, and now I find some new ans exiting features in orbiter 2016.
I am also a real life colaborator with the Portuguese Air Museum, (I was an Air force mechanic), And now we are going to have, in mid october, a special event dedicated to the space exploration. I was thinking of having a few PC with Orbiter to allow kids (and grownups) to experience landing the shuttle, flying the Mercury and Apolo misisons, etc.
But it seems, that most addons, including those, are for Orbiter 2010-P1.
Is there any Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, etc (Historical missions) to versdion 2016, or it is better to stick with that 2010 P1 for the exhibit ?

Regards,
Pedro Caldeira

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But it seems, that most addons, including those, are for Orbiter 2010-P1.
Is there any Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, etc (Historical missions) to versdion 2016, or it is better to stick with that 2010 P1 for the exhibit ?

I have no idea how close NASSP is to a stable version 8 now, but it looks great, you can get some "nightly" builds from their latest build results threads for testing.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
(I think I've already answered this but the forum is acting strange)

For 2010 stuff you need 2010. Don't mix versions, it won't work.
For 2016 you have the Shuttle, Space X vehicles and Orion (at least 2 versions).

Looking forward for your display in October, I might give it a try in person ;)

Pedro Caldeira

Reaction score
(I think I've already answered this but the forum is acting strange)

For 2010 stuff you need 2010. Don't mix versions, it won't work.
For 2016 you have the Shuttle, Space X vehicles and Orion (at least 2 versions).

Looking forward for your display in October, I might give it a try in person ;)

Looking forward to your visit.
Maybe you can give me a hand, planning some stuff :)

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have adapted the Orbiter for my local Science Museum to use as an education station but not as stand alone exhibit. At the station, an education staff member or volunteer help guests learn about various aspects of space flight. Over the years, we have tried several activities including launch into orbit, maneuver, rendezvous, reenter and land. We have found that three activities provide guests with the knowledge whey want within the time they are willing to spend. We have several other activities to use to answer guest's questions if they come up.

We start with a demonstration of Newton's cannon. We use the version from NASA's site for kids. https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/how-orbits-work/en/. I modified it to run on a local computer without internet access. We usually skip the elliptical orbit going back to it if asked.

We then start the Orbiter with the space shuttle in orbit and a Carina satellite in the payload bay. We describe how the shuttle is in orbit, like the cannon ball, and invite the guests to use a joystick to maneuver the shuttle. Once they get the shuttle moving, we ask why it doesn't stop and then ask them to get it to stop so we can launch the satellite. We also have an astronaut in the docking hatch and can undock and fly the astronaut with an MMU. We use this for young kids. We use an autopilot to re-dock the astronaut to avoid kids complaining about leaving them in space.

Then, the guests attempt to land the shuttle at KSC. To conserve time, we start later than the stock scenario, just above the speed of sound. Orbiter 2016 and XR Sound have made this activity much more exciting.