Scenario Space Shuttle Atlantis reentry scenarios

Jairo

Reaction score
Hi!

Is there a tutorial for Atlantis reentry 1 and 2 scenarios?

I never could find someone to explain how to excecute a reentry with the original STS and scenarios that come with Orbiter.

No matter what I do, I simply get way past over the landing site, always. And the tutorials I found were meant for STSs from addons.

Thank you.

Thorsten

Reaction score
I guess someone will point you to an MFD which can do it all automatically :lol:

Otherwise, if you're interested in flying it by hand, it'd help if you explain what you've been trying to do. Are you rolling to high bank angles for instance, are you using pitch to adjust AoA?

Just arriving on site is easier than following a realistic entry path that doesn't violate thermal or structural limits (which may not be simulated).

Jairo

Reaction score
Hi! I tried it all. Even flying upside down.

I know these are the least realistic models, but even so, I'm always passing way over the landing site.

For a time, I even though these scenarios were not meant to be feasible. But they wouldn't remain like that for so long. So what could I be doing of so wrong?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The default Atlantis has a very unrealistic flight model which prevents it from flying a good re-entry profile. Hyper-sonically it's very low drag which is the reason why it overshoots the landing site. In reality the Orbiter would perform several rolls to maintain the drag as well as preventing it self from bouncing back into space as it generates alot of lift.

Thorsten

Reaction score
The default Atlantis has a very unrealistic flight model which prevents it from flying a good re-entry profile.

... if it hasn't drastically changed during the last years, it also has a rather unrealistic thermal and stress tolerance, which enables it to arrive at the landing site using a bad re-entry profile. You used to be able to just push the nose down enough to get into sufficiently dense air to get the required drag.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hi! I tried it all. Even flying upside down.

I know these are the least realistic models, but even so, I'm always passing way over the landing site.

For a time, I even though these scenarios were not meant to be feasible. But they wouldn't remain like that for so long. So what could I be doing of so wrong?
Where and how are you performing the deorbit burn?

Jairo

Reaction score
Where and how are you performing the deorbit burn?

I'm already deorbited. I'm using the mentioned reentry scenarios, where I'm already bound to touch the surface a bit past Florida (not considering atmosphere).

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Well, is it possible to land at Cape Canaveral from theses scenarios?

If yes, how do you do it?

sardiver

Reaction score
Does the Fleet work with Orbiter 2016??..:huh:

I don't think so, unless perhaps you're already in orbit at the time. Every time I've tried to use the Fleet in 2016, the vessel falls forward on the launch pad and journeys to the center of the earth. I suppose with enough fuel we could make it out the other side of the planet.

Jairo

Reaction score
Guys?

I know Orbiter for about a decade. I've played a fair amount of time with it. And I've lurked a fair amount of time in these forums...

...but I never, ever, got an answer about that. Every single time I asked it, the conversation either derailed, or people disappeared from the thread.

:please:

Please: is it possible to actually complete these two scenarios? If yes, how?

sardiver

Reaction score
Guys?

I know Orbiter for about a decade. I've played a fair amount of time with it. And I've lurked a fair amount of time in these forums...

...but I never, ever, got an answer about that. Every single time I asked it, the conversation either derailed, or people disappeared from the thread.

:please:

Two questions that may help others with more experience answer: Is your difficulty specific to those two scenarios? Or is it a difficulty in re-entering with the stock Shuttle, and then perhaps not scenario specific?

Everything I've read here indicates that the aerodynamic model on the stock shuttle makes it incredibly difficult to re-enter with. If your answer pertains to the re-entry in general, and from what I gather of you skipping off past Florida, it sounds like it is, then I would respectfully suggest that the comments about using Shuttle Fleet, AutoFCS, etc., are attempts to answer your question.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Jairo, both DaveS and Thorsten gave you a clear answer: the stock Atlantis flight model seems to be quite unrealistic hence your difficulties in performing a decent reentry. Some other guys are suggesting to use the Shuttle Fleet and its autopilot (AutoFCS). I have serious doubts that AutoFCS works with Orbiter 2016 (I just tried it and Orbiter crashes). You might try a manual reentry with the Fleet but I can't tell you how the shuttle will behave (haven't tested myself yet). Bear in mind that Shuttle Fleet is for Orbiter2010..

Last edited:

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io

No. From my experience it needs sheer luck for manual reentry with the stock Atlantis and even if I manage to do that I don't call it a success.

I believe the stock Atlantis is merely a sample and its purpose is to serve as an example for modders to showcase what you can achieve using Orbiter. I always recommend beginners to forget default ships once they are familiar with basic controls.

kevinhampton79

Reaction score
old post i know but i have completed both scenarios multiple times. high bank angles 10 seconds roll 10 seconds roll so on and all the while pulling back on the stick until you are over Florida then stay rolled to port past 90 degrees so as to pull back hard into a dive and just hold it till you reenter about where Orlando is and runway 33 should be anywhere from your 8 oclock to 12 oclock.